Barbecue restaurant oportunity

John Thom

TVWBB Member
I was approached by a local businessman who owns a bbq restaurant to basically run it for him. By that I mean come up with the menu, cook the food. That's about it. Not manager or anything. Pretty small restaurant also. I couldn't be more excited about the prospect. I love cooking, and bbq has always been a big one for me. He and his wife are awesome, talked a lot with them today. I have never worked in a restaurant before, but I grew up around it(my dad had his own four star restaurant) and it has always been my dream to own my own bbq restaurant. I am currently employed as a second year apprentice electrician and I hate my job. The work, but most of all the journeyman I apprentice off, and the manager of the business. Sorry to write a book here, but I was just wanting some input, and maybe some advice or what I can expect. Would love to help convince the wife and reassure her that we won't be in the poor house. She's definitely not on board with this. Thanks everyone as always.

What could be better than to follow your dream? Naturally you'll want to do your homework and find out all the details. You may want to consult a lawyer/accountant and see what, if any, financial obligations you would have if the business goes belly up. Also, do you get paid regardless of business profit? etc...
Wishing you the best of luck. Keep us informed.

John, often times what we think is a good opportunity from the outside doesn't pan out for one reason or another.

I would suggest to help out in the restaurant evenings and/or weekends. This way you get a first hand opportunity to see what the work is like.

No matter how much you think you may enjoy the food industry, it can't be for the money.

Food service in general is low paying, has minimal benefits, and there is a large pool of culinary school graduates and immigrant labor to keep hourly wages low and competition tough for the best jobs. Most cook jobs at least in California range from $10 to $15 an hour while a journeyman electrician is much more than that ... probably closer to $50 an hour including nice beneift packages.

You probably know this but in food service, the days can be physically tough, fast paced, and stressful.

The working hours of a union electrician is normally 7:00am to 3:30pm, M-F, while food service can include evenings, weekends, and holidays.

So there are significant trade offs to consider when considering a food service career.

BTW, I'm currently doing temp staffing in Corporate Dining as a Prep/Line Cook but looking out for other opportunites both in and out of the food industry.

I think you should do what you love.

There are tons of negatives to nearly every profession - and the mere mention of the restaurant business always brings out the litany - but if you love the business and/or cooking then ask questions now. If the answers are satisfactory go for it. Having cooked professionally both in restaurants and privately for almost 40 years, imo, it is only stressful if it really isn't for you. The so-called stress of restaurant work and/or cooking is the buzz - the thrill. If there is no thrill, no buzz, either one needs a new gig in another place or another career entirely.

If you are very good - or can get that way - it should not be low-paying.

If you will be hired as just an employee no need to involve a lawyer. If you are coming in as an employee with a percentage of the ownership (i.e., he is giving you shares of his S-corp), read the contract carefully. (I've never bothered with a lawyer for these types of deals as they are fairly standard and should be clear.)

It's hard to say what you can expect because more info is needed. What is he offering? What are you expected to do - specifically? Have hours been discussed? Hourly rate, salary, percentage or a combo? What are the current offerings in the restaurant menu-wise? What are the current price points? What is the current check average? What do you mean 'run it for him' but not manage it? Who would be managing - and does s/he know what s/je is doing, by your estimation? Is it lunch and dinner seven days/week...or?

Thanks for all the input everyone. Currently it is a weekend only bbq and bar so to speak. He wants to make it full time. He wants me to come up with the menu and prepare the food. I live in a town of 4000 people if that gives you some info. Its just planning at the moment. I don't know what income would be like. He pays the current chef 12/hr. He wants me to give him my plan and we would work out the details. It isn't for another 5 months that the change from weekends to full time would be. Seems like he would be an awesome boss. Wants me to work this Saturday to get a feel for it. I don't think there would be a profit sharing deal, but again I don't know that. Sorry to be so vague I don't know many details yet. I just have a passion for food, want to pay the bills and a little more, but want to work to live, not live to work. With construction being what it is I fear the uncertain paychecks. Work all summer long and hope you have a job in winter sucks. Half of our current crew were laid off from other electrical company's because things were slow. How do I know that won't happen to me. Especially since he hired his brother in law, and gave him the job I was working on. How do I know when push comes to shove he'll fire his less expedience bro in law and keep me. I'm a hard worker and have always done what is asked and then some, and I get lousy treatment. Just want to be appreciated while doing something that I love.

Do what you love to do. Money is not every thing. If you work in a field that is pleasing to you you will live a long and happy life!
icon_smile.gif

I'm all for doing what you love. I also think it's really cool for you to get to get paid to dip your toe in the water before you buy into your own place financially.

I've spent a lot of time working in restaurants and it's NOT the same as cooking as a hobby. The hours are bad and often long and people (employees, customers, and bosses) are the best/worst part about it. In fact, I would even go so far to say that that only about 10 percent of restaurant work is about making the food itself.

Having said all that, I loved it. If I didn't mind working most nights and weekends, I'd probably still be doing it. It sounds cliche but it really is a "people business."

A friend I used to race bicycles with sold 2 liquor stores and bought a bike shop, figuring that if he enjoyed it as a hobby, he would enjoy it as a business. He was well off, so he wasn't concerned that it may not make much money. He jumped in with both feet on an impulse.

I asked him after 6 months how he liked it, and he said, "It's a beautiful day and I'd like to be out riding, but I'm in here stuffing inner tubes into some kids %@#^*& bicycle." He closed it within the year.

I'm not saying you won't love it. I'm just suggesting you look at the pros and cons and try it on a conditional basis first. Good luck!

One sees stories like this all the time. My reaction is always, "What were you thinking?"

Racing bikes and owning a shop are not the same thing - by a long stretch. Neither is liking to cook or eat out and owning a restaurant. You have to like the business of it all.

I love the restaurant and bar business, and love the cooking business. What others find to be stresses, or enervating, or the 'cons', I find interesting, challenging or fun. I've done stretches of many, many weeks of 16-hours days without a day off - still do - and don't find it at all a problem. Still, one can set up oneself to avoid multiple long days and no days off by simply building that into the plan. It's not hard to do.

You should ask him the questions you are asking here, John. How do you know he will keep you on? What incentives is he willing to offer - above and beyond the hourly rate?

Ask him.

I'm a big believer in doing what you love but this needs to be balanced by your financial responsibilities. Do you have kids? Does your wife work? How much money do you need to pay rent/mortgage? If it didn't work out, could you return to your apprenticeship? Would you be happier apprenticing with another electrician?

You and your wife need to make a list of questions and some of the questions are for you and your wife. It's good to have answered your questions before you start meeting with the restaurant owner so you can guide some of his answers. Analysis like "how much money do we need to make" will make you and your wife more comfortable with taking a risk.

John.
Starting out it the trades as an apprentice is always rough. But you are a 2nd yr so you are still making them money cause you're under 50% of what a journeyman makes.
If you're as good as you say and a hard worker than I don't see a problem. Granted there are some DH journeyman and owners out there but that's to be expected in any job including construction.
If you do decide to try this, contact your local BA and see if you can get a leave of absence. IBEW has spent quite a bit of money on your apprenticeship and if you drop out early you could be penalized $1000 per year till completed.
My son is a 2nd yr also, and that's how his contract reads.
I've been a carpenter/foreman for quite a while, and in this economy its always good to explore other options.
Luck to you!

Tim

All great advice here. My only suggestion is to look at this thing VERY objectively. I could almost hear you talking yourself into this and out of your current job from your original post.

I could not encourage you more to follow your dreams, but make your decisions with your head and not your heart.

Paul

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Paul R:
All great advice here. My only suggestion is to look at this thing VERY objectively. I could almost hear you talking yourself into this and out of your current job from your original post.

I could not encourage you more to follow your dreams, but make your decisions with your head and not your heart.

Paul </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Ditto.

And some of the advice would be great if it was that you were going in to a partnership or other ownership agreement with it doesn't sound like. It sounds like they want you to be the "Head Chef" of "Pitmaster" I guess would be more fitting. In that case, don't get caught up in the personal part, make sure it's a good employment opportunity, ie. how you're be paid etc. The personal can and will change, but if it's that good, it may be a really great opportunity!

And I would have a hard time telling someone to follow their head and not their heart. I know dozens who did precisely that when they were younger, talked out of their dreams and into 'stability' and 'safety' and 'security'. Many are stable, safe and secure. Very few are happy.

Everyone here is just awesome! I love this community. I really do appreciate everyone's advice and will go into this as objectively as possible. I have some what talked myself into this already as Jim pointed out. I just believe in the American dream. I want to be one of those people who love what they do so they never work a day in their lives. Maybe I'm just chasing pipe dreams. I'm willing to be unhappy at work as long as it makes my family better off. Just wish I could have both. You can never lose faith.

Great posts above. I agree that it sounds like you may be talking yourself into this and that's fine. I also think this is a "dipping your toe in" situation. As noted, get all the facts. Work a few weekends open to close and see if you like the job, hours and people. Evaluate whether you can afford the opportunity (socially and financially). Finally, follow your heart but lead with your head.

A decade ago, a few of my friends were bar owners and doing well. I thought I wanted the same and shadowed one for 2 weeks. After that, I knew it wasn't for me. Like the bike shop story above, I didn't have the passion for it to make it a career. My friends still do well and I still want to own a bar, just not enough to do it for a living.

I would like to write a book as a response to this question, but I already see some of the typical repsonses by folks.

So let me just say that as a business owner for the last 26 years, with operations on both coast, there is a lot more to consider than what has been brought up here.

It does not matter what the business is, you have to approach it as a business, and define how you are going to make money. Just creating a menu and working hard will never, and I mean never equal a win.

You have to consider your personal financial postion prior to even starting a business. Can you support your family on its current income requirments for the next year, with no money coming from the business? If the answer is heck no, not even close, I would seriosly consider staying in my current job.

new business take cash, and lots of it to make it through the first few years. Most of the cash that is put into the business and what is generated from the business is eaten up by operations for the first two years, and thats if you have a solid business plan, prior to opening.

And by a business plan, I mean a full balance sheet and income statement projection for the first three years.

If you cant make it work on paper, with a real 3 year plan, you cant in reality make it work at the location.

I can also say that partners, create a complete differnt issue. Figuring out all this in advance is the only way to go.

This is not to say it is impossible, as some, not many, but some new businesses do survive. I just want you to go into this with your eyes open and I do want to say you wife has very good reason to be worried.

If you want to bounce specifics around offline, shoot me a pm and I will at least offer an experienced opinion and explain a bit more the "why" of my statments here.

Back