Barbecue is done when it is done

CullenJ

TVWBB Super Fan
No big tale to tell, just a reminder that temp and time are only part of the equation.

Fired up the WSM to do a butt early yesterday morning. Gave myself 1.5 hrs per pound added a couple of fudge-factor hours. Everything was cooking fine, I was seeing my normal temps when I was expecting to see them, it platued as expected, but after that, I didn't get the shoot up in temp I was expecting.

What I didn't do then, what I should have done, was start checking for tenderness. I just kept the butt on the smoker for a good bit longer waiting for the temp to climb.

What I got was a butt that never hit the 195 that I like, but was quite done. I pulled it off, foiled for a little while and then pulled it. It wasn't bad, but I definitely had to put some finishing sauce on it to counter some drying.

Just a personal lesson to stop being so reliant on temperature and pay more attention to what's really going on.

Excellent point. And this is why I lean towards smoking butts and briskets in advance of a large gathering that has a firm serving time.

Paul

Barbecue is done when it is tender. Cooking temps and mass of the meat relative to the time cooking are the factors. Internal temp has nothing to do with it.

Great point, Cullen.

I'll put a probe in the smallest butt and first check it when the IT reaches about 190*. Seems to me there's somewhat of a consensus that very few butts will be tender under that temp, at least if cooking in the 225-250* range.

I agree with Kevin, meats aren't that different it is the cook dynamics that are. If using a remote temp probe I set to 185 and then I start checking for tender.

KK is right when it's done it's done . No matter what your temp gauge says. Use temps as a "guide" not as absolute

As the experienced above have noted, IT doesn't mean done. I use IT as a guide to when to check for doneness. By that I mean that I don't expect a butt to be done at 170F but I will start being dilligent around there. I just posted another thread about "pro" chefs and IT here. More of a funny tale.

Back