Bar b que shows on TV?

DavidD

TVWBB Super Fan
my DVR used to permit me to search for keywords, so i often found interesting shows on grilling and barbecue. Unfortunately, they changed the software and i must search by title, can't really find shows like i could with the keyword feature. It would be nice if there was a way on this forum to share shows that might be of interest to readers.

For example, if I became aware of a Pork Butt Throwdown with Bobby Flay playing on Thursday or a steak cookoff on Friday, it might be helpful to share with this group. I know i am missing shows of interest to me.

any interest and/or suggestions?

Davidd

I'm always looking for BBQ type shows as well.

I heard on the food network sometime next week there starting their BBQ shows. That's the good news, the bad news is probably they will show all reruns, from previous years.

Although I'll record them any way, might pickup something here or there.

Maybe Chris might consider a separate form for sharing any info by us, on upcomming BBQ TV shows, if there is enough interest.

I'd certainly check it.

I'd be interested as well. Even if sometimes the shows are a bit dummied down, I still find them interesting.

As he said next week on Food network is BBQ and grill week, largely impart to memorial day I'm sure. They also have Flay on every Sunday morning at 9am EST with his regular grilling show.

Keep an eye on FoodNetwork, Fine Living Network, History Channel, and Travel Channel over the next week or so. With Memorial Day being this weekend, there might be quite a bit on TV. Probably re-runs, but it's better than nothing.

Barbecue University is still on in a few cities. HE also has a new show coming out sometime this summer. Great show by the way.

Schedule

New York, WLIW Create Saturdays @ 1:30 pm
Los Angeles, KCET Desert Cities Monday - Friday @ 10:30 am
Chicago, WYCC Saturdays @ 5:30 pm
Chicago, WTTW Create Saturdays @ 6:30 pm
Philadelphia WYBE Fridays @ 1 pm
Boston, WGBX Create Sundays @ 1:30 pm
Denver, KBDI Wednesdays @ 2:30 pm
North Carolina Public Television Saturdays @ 2:30 pm
Salt Lake City, KUED Saturdays @ 1:30 pm
Providence, RI Saturdays @ 2:30 pm
Austin, KLRU Tuesdays @ 12 pm
Ft, Myers, WGCU Saturdays @ 11:30 am

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Patrick Smith:
Barbecue University is still on in a few cities. HE also has a new show coming out sometime this summer. Great show by the way. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>Reruns of Primal Grill have already started. I watched the Spare Ribs show last night.

Davidd, I search for "Barbecue", "Primal" and "BBQ" each week.

More info:

Yesterday "Create" had a bunch of "BBQ-U" and "Primal Grill" shows on.

Check Food Network all week starting around 2pm. Also, "Dear Food Network" is full of grilling shows this week. Everynight.

Wednesday night at 8:30 EST is a new "Throwdown" featuring ribs.

what network shows primal? unfortunately, my cable svc no longer permits searching by keyword, i need to know the title to find it, which means it's hard to find anything.

Don't forget tonight Bobby flay will throw down twice (ribs).

8 pm repeat, 8:30 pm new throw down ribs, set you recording devises and or watch, if you can.

Yes, thanks. I have it on though have seen Buzz before. The next one is new to me, so i look forward to it.

The BBQ shows that I watch are Primal Grill, Boy Meets Grill, Grill It with Bobby Flay, and BBQ with Bobby Flay. I have also DVR specials from the Travel Channel. One that is pretty good is Travel Channel.

Personally, I despise any show with Bobby Flay. It is not just because he is a tool, but I wouldn't consider him a traditional barbecuer/griller. His methods are unorthodox and his meals are too trendy.

I especially dislike Throwdown with Bobby Flay. Thank about the layout of the show:
1. Bobby accepts a challenge from some masked goon (Which is cheesy because you know that he knows the challenge, but whatever).
2. He assembles his team of cooks in a state of the art kitchen to try and come up with a better version of the recipe.
3. Meanwhile, the person being challenged thinks that they are special enough to be hosting their own Food Network special. Little do they know...
4. As this person is presenting their "show" to a restaurant full of their fans, Bobby comes in to steal the thunder and asks the for a throwdown. What is a person to do, deny the challenge?
5. As the throwdown is being done, the Bobby continues up some friendly sparring. The other person is either bewildered, embarrassed, or ticked off. They just grin and bear it.
6. A "blind" taste test is done. "Nuetral judges" come in and judge the concoctions.
7. Bobby usually wins - it is his show, after all. And when he doesn't win, he whines like a little girl.

I know I gave a lot more than I should (and it was quite negative for a first post), but I couldn't resist. If I were you all, I would keep Bobby and his recipes at arm distance if you want to have authentic barbecue (in the pit, not the oven).

Matt

I have a little different take on this than you, that's what makes the world go around.

I think Bobby Flay is somewhat arrogant/cocky, and I agree with you that his cooking methods are unorthodox.

The main reason I watch his throwdown show is to learn/findout, things from the person he is throwing down with.

Just like the second program last night, the fellow cooked/grilled his his ribs at high heat it wasn't clear to me but I think he said 20 min per side and they were very tender and juicy, i'm sure there is something that wasn't said about his cooking process.

The point I'm trying to make is for me it's interesting to get the other persons take on their cooking methods, and maybe I will learn a little something every now and then. I also like to see the cooked food, only trouble is then I want to fire up the WSM and start cooking.

Happy Smoking !!!

I caught the first repeat show last night (Throwdown vs Ned/Buz ribs) and did not think the Asian sauce/glaze Flay made would compete with Buz's ribs, especially since he did not use any smoke to cook them. Missed the second show (Flay vs Mitchell). Who won?, I assume Mitchell, he is a bbq icon and awesome pitmaster.
I always learn something from these shows too.

Gary

Mitchel won.

He's the guy that cooked his rib fast and high, instead of low and slow.

Flay said the smoked his ribs i believe for 7 or 8 hrs, then finished on the grill. Where as Mitchel only used the grill as far as I can tell?

John,
Great point about learning from the people he competes against. I have watched the show in the past to get tips on what might be good in certain cities.

But sometimes it is hard to stomach Flay's cockiness.
icon_smile.gif
I think my view of truly soured when I was watching The Next Food Network Star!
icon_smile.gif

Matt

I'm with ya 110% about Flay's attitude.

It seams like I'm addicted to BBQ and am will to try to put up with or stomach most any thing to watch programs about it. But that's my problem.

You know, I used to think Flay was just an arrogant SOB, but throwdown showed me a diff side of him. It seems like he usually wants to lose and usually is very sincere in his compliments of the others.

Now, though I will watch Steve R, there is something about him that I don't really like. I can't put my finger on it but there is something smarmy about him.

Yeah, I got the same feeling from Steve R on Primal Grill. I don't think it is intentional. I think that he just doesn't know how to do TV.

As much as Flay is a tool, he is entertaining to watch. Maybe for the wrong reasons sometimes!
icon_smile.gif

Back