Bar B Kettle

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ken Mc

TVWBB Super Fan
What makes a Bar B Kettle a Bar B Kettle??

I'm just full of questions today...lol..

Ken

So then a 3 wheeler is just a 3 wheeler???
nothing special about it?? 1991 model.
Just wondering, thanks Troy

It's special in that it's no longer made, although replacement bowls may or may not be available.

Weber discontinuing the B-B-K is almost as bad as Kodak discontinuing Kodachrome!!
icon_mad.gif

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Gerd Hilkemeyer:
I am confused then too.

I thought three wheelers ended in the mid 1980s. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

3 Wheelers/Daisy Wheels/Bar-B-Q-Kettles/Bar-B-Kettles were the only style of ash removal and venting on the kettles from 1952-about 1983 when the One Touch was introduced. By the 1990s, the One Touch was more commonplace, but Bar-B-Kettles/3 wheelers continued to be available as an option until about 1999. I wish they still made them, but the masses are too accustomed to the One Touch and Weber probably wouldnt make enough money to warrant having them available as an option.

I have a 1998 Bar-B-Kettle/3-wheeler with wood handles as well. Last of a good-but-dying model apparently.
icon_smile.gif

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Lawrence M.:
Do all Bar-B-Kettles have the metal side handles? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

No. My first B-B-K in 1990 had a single wood handle and its replacement 12-13 years later has the plastic handle.

They did indeed co-exist. The Bar-B-Kettles started with 2 metal bowl handles (1952-'80) then 2 wooden bowl handles (1981-mid '80s) then were seemingly "demoted" down to 1 bowl handle not long after the One Touch was introduced (mid-late '80s). The wheels on the 1 bowl handled B-B-K's were all black w/o the "WEBER" white walls. After B-B-K was discontinued and the OTG was introduced, the now OTS got bumped down to the 1 bowl handle. Almost as if the One Touch went from being a step-up "premium" kettle from the B-B-K's in the '80s to the "basic" kettle we know today. It makes me wonder if the OTG will someday become the "basic" model kettle and something else will be a step up? Only time will tell.

Well...just to be clear the discontinuation of the BAR-B-Q Kettle was really just a change in text on the top vent. The kettle basically remains the same. There is no drastic difference in a BAR-B-Q Kettle from 1970 and a one touch silver from today. Just the way the holes in the bottom are shaped. Yea no doubt it's cool to have a grill that says BAR-B-Q KETTLE on the vent, but if you have any weber kettle your pretty cool in my book!
icon_wink.gif

I would love to have a 22.5 3 wheeler/B-B-Q-K/B-B-K/daisy wheel. (non/pre one touch) to have for smoking or just to grill old school. I have an 18.5. Though I <span class="ev_code_RED">LOVE</span> my red One Touch that I retrofitted with a <span class="ev_code_YELLOW">'Gold</span> ash can.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back