Bagged Tri Tip Dinner

Cliff Bartlett

R.I.P. 5/17/2021
My wife spotted bagged Tri Tips in the weekly Safeway flyer for $1.99/lb., USDA Choice. We looked at it on Thursday but passed. Sure looked good, but kept walking. Went back on Friday and pulled the trigger when the butcher came out and reloaded the freezer. Opened it up the next day and there were five tri tips, varying in size. Bagged four and kept on of the smaller ones out for dinner. Sides were grilled sweet potato medallions and parmesan broccoli. Here's the pictures.

Earlier in the day I baked this. Not for my cook here but one my wife has lined up. Naturally levained sourdough. (no commercial yeast)

enhance

Now, on with the post. Bagged.

enhance

Here they are.

enhance

Trimmed up the smaller one. 2.4 lbs. after trimming.

enhance

Seasoned with Cattleman's Tri Tip seasoning.

enhance

Here's the sweet potato slices and the broccoli ready for the grill. Both combined with oil, salt and pepper. The bowl contains a honey/lime dressing that will poured over and mixed with the grilled potatoes. The broccoli will be topped and mixed with lime zest after grilling.

enhance

Used sort of a minion start to the grill. Trying to avoid the shower of sparks from a chimney during this bone dry summer.

enhance

Meat on.

enhance

Reverse sear.

enhance

Did the veggies on the Grillgrates.

enhance

Last edited:
enhance

enhance

Slices

enhance

enhance

Plated it up.

enhance

This turned out to be a great cook. The meat was so tender and flavorful. The sweet potatoes and than honey lime dressing were a hit too, as was the broccoli. I'm glad I've 4 more roasts in the freezer, at $1.99 to boot! Thanks for looking everyone.

Nice! If I found Tri-Tip at $1.99 from our grocer I'd have to buy another freezer. I like your tip on the score marks; I read of cutting a small end piece on brisket but have not thought of scores.

Boy I would have jumped on that deal, we love TT and $1.99lb is fantastic and Barb even works there a couple days a week. But that was not in our ad this week so it was a reginal thing.
Back on topic that's a fine looking meal Cliff and try to stay cool. It's 97 here and 9:45am this will day 20 in a row of 100+, I'm guessing about 105-106 by 4pm

Cliff, that is awesome and love your plated plate. I'll keep an eye out and hope we get a deal like that.

Beautiful Tri Tip Cliff and really like the sweet potatoes with honey lime dressing.

Back