Bacon-wrapped smoked scallops.

Ben E Lou

TVWBB Member
Sam's had some big ol' wild-caught sea scallops for a reasonable price, so I thought I'd give this a shot. First, I cooked the bacon roughly halfway in the oven. We typically cook it for 30 minutes at 350 degrees and it's perfect, so I went with 15 minutes at 350.

RAW
20130205_12.51.33.jpg

AFTER 15 MINUTES
20130205_13.08.41.jpg

Then I let the bacon cool down by just throwing it in the freezer for a couple of minutes. I didn't want it to start cooking the scallops. Next, I wrapped 'em, one per scallop except for the two small ones got a half strip.

20130205_13.18.25.jpg

Smoked with 5 chunks of apple and one hickory. Since this was my first time doing this, I actually used the Maverick to track internal temperature, and I think it did a good job. I did a minion start but once the WSM's temperature hit 150 I kept all vents, including the top one, almost completely closed. I'm thinking maybe 1/8 open on each one. Temperature got right around 180 and stayed there. I took the scallops to 130 first and looked, didn't seem ready to me or when I cut into one, so I took them on up to 140. Perfect! Overall smoking time was roughly 45 minutes. Here they are when I opened the grill at 140:

20130205_14.09.08.jpg

I cooked a couple more strips of bacon and some plain ol' frozen spinach. Sprinkled the bacon in the spinach and it made for a great side. Here's the meal plated:

20130205_14.11.04.jpg

They were VERY tasty. Next time I think I'll lightly salt the scallops and let the bacon cook a little more in the oven, maybe 20 minutes instead of 15. But I'm not complaining. 'Twas a VERY yummy lunch.

I've done that dish in the oven many times, but never smoked. Did the bacon lose the crunch on the smoker?........................d

I've done that dish in the oven many times, but never smoked. Did the bacon lose the crunch on the smoker?........................d
Well, I don't like my bacon terribly crunchy anyway, so I thought it was perfect. I'd never done it on a grill or smoker either, but after tasting it, to me the added smoke flavor makes it very much worth doing it on the WSM instead of the oven.

Ben, do you preheat the oven to 350 first or just throw the bacon right in?

Nice looking meal.

Ben, do you preheat the oven to 350 first or just throw the bacon right in?

Nice looking meal.
Good question, more than you know. Our oven, installed by our builder, takes what seems like an absurb amount of time to preheat, maybe 10-15 minutes to get to 350, so we've learned to time some things based on turning the oven on cold. But in this case, yes, we preheat to 350 before putting the bacon in. And as I mentioned, I think I'll do 18-20 minutes next time. I don't like my bacon as crispy as most, and it was just barely in the "cooked enough" range for me.

Good question, more than you know. Our oven, installed by our builder, takes what seems like an absurb amount of time to preheat, maybe 10-15 minutes to get to 350, so we've learned to time some things based on turning the oven on cold. But in this case, yes, we preheat to 350 before putting the bacon in. And as I mentioned, I think I'll do 18-20 minutes next time. I don't like my bacon as crispy as most, and it was just barely in the "cooked enough" range for me.
Thanks. Gonna have to give it a try.

Back