Bacon Wrapped Jalapeno Poppers

MikeLucky

TVWBB Pro
Started with 4 jalapenos, cut in half, seeded and cleaned. Stuffing was cream cheese, shredded cheddar and colby jack, and spice rub. Wrapped in thick cut uncured bacon from the Sprout's meat counter.

I actually put them together last night and put them in the fridge and I feel like they setup nicely because of that.

On the coals direct first.... Full vents open.

1KCL1kd.jpg

OFbmfU8.jpg

Moved indirect when the bacon grease started the flame ups. Stayed indirect for the rest of the cook.

QINy36M.jpg

Couldn't decide which one to use for the glazing, so I mixed all 3. Brushed on about 3/4 of the way through.

HniuRNV.jpg

Done when the edges of the bacon were crispy and the cheese filling was getting golden brown.

FycnzLi.jpg

Mp2SldS.jpg

Plated and then drizzled with some home mixed ranch... (Hidden Valley powder, Duke's Mayonnaise, Braum's milk)

c5iZOTj.jpg

DH1omSz.jpg

I'm not even kidding when I say they were damn near transcendent. Wow, they were good. Bacon was crispy on the edges, but the rest of the meat melted in your mouth. By cooking them to the doneness of the bacon, the pepper meat was tender with the slightest hint of a crunch. The glaze was spicy and smokey. I haven't done poppers in a long time and now I will have dreams about these ones. lol. I see these on my menu a lot in the future. They can go on direct first for a few minutes, then go indirect while I'm grilling steaks/chicken/chops. Be patient with them and watch them for the moment when the edges are crispy and the filling is just getting golden brown. It's worth the wait and attention.

Don't think I've ever seen a high heat version of these! I've always done my at "smoking" temps. I'll definitely have to try this one (planted jalapeños this year), as I think I'll like the bacon more with HH.

Thanks for sharing this one!

R

Outstanding poppers Mike! I like to make mine ahead too, then I can just pop them in the smoker/grill half hour before guests arrive..... or the game starts.

Thanks everyone. I'm going to be making them again on Monday for Memorial Day. Hopefully a larger batch comes out just as good as that batch.

those look really good, i still make them but i had to change a few things because of my heart i now use fat free cream cheese i put 1 little smokie cut in half into each one with a little shredded cheddar cheese cuts down the fat a little bit Lol they really are tasty.20190509_182620_HDR[1].jpg20190509_182620_HDR[1].jpg

Back