Bacon Question

K. Smith

TVWBB Member
We are ready to smoke our first batch of bacon. I read the advice in this forum and was going rinse, then let the slabs dry overnight in the refrigerator before smoking, then smoke around 150-200 for about 5 hours, or until the internal temp is 150. A friend suggested I should not let the slabs dry and should smoke it at 225 for 1 1/2 to 2 hours, noting that the method used by another site that he likes. He sai.d the science shows the smoke flavor clings better to wet meat

Has anyone tried the two methods and compared them? What did you think?

Thanks!

K,
Sorry, IMO, your friend is wrong about this.
Left wet, you might get a nice coating of creosote, but not much good smoke on the bacon.

The slabs need to dry and form a pellicle first.

I always find it interesting how different sites have different cultures and methods/advice contrary to each other. Possibly the differences are a result of wood/charcoal vs gas or elect.

I'm in agreement with Bob, dry them for a day at least and let the pellicle form. Then smoke 'em low and slow for many hours, I do 'em for 10 hours at a very low temp. Just be sure they are properly cured, that's the important part!

My bcn @ 150-200f takes about 2-3 hours. Sure i never done a full slab or anything. But i cant image a 10h cook? @ what temp bro?

I'll stick with what I found at this site and dry them, then plan on low and slow. We bought a four pound slab (including the skin, which was removed) and cut it in half. I'll post how it turns out later this weekend.

My bcn @ 150-200f takes about 2-3 hours. Sure i never done a full slab or anything. But i cant image a 10h cook? @ what temp bro?

I do them in my electric smoker, start out at 110 degrees, and slowing bump up 10 degrees every couple hours.

I have done bacon twice the first time I let it dry for 24 hrs, the second time I let it dry for 48 hrs, only because I could not smoke it after the first 24 hrs. The second batch turned out much better then the first, I will always let it dry for 48 hrs. I smoked mine at 200 degress with applewood.

If you let your bacon dry for a couple of days or more, it will lose weight, and the taste will be more intense. The same applies to smoking afterwards, low temperature and a long smoke will give a stronger smoke taste, in fact it can be so strong that the bacon needs to rest for several days after smoking to "mellow out" and mature.

I'm all for drying, and long smokes. In fact, if you cold smoke your bacon, it can be done over a period of several days.

There is no right way to do this, just several methods that leads to different products.

Excellent reply Geir, the bacon I have made would be considered cold smoked. I am not cooking the bacon, just smoking it to be cooked later.

Meathead says: Rinse well and pat dry. "Most recipes tell you to let the slab dry for 24 hours so the smoke will stick better, but, as the Amazingribs.com science advisor Dr. Greg Blonder has proven, smoke sticks better to wet surfaces, this extra step isn't necessary."

http://www.amazingribs.com/recipes/porknography/making_bacon_from_scratch.html

He gets to it under the Smoke and Food section about halfway down this page:
http://www.amazingribs.com/tips_and_technique/zen_of_wood.html

I've smoked three bellies without drying time for any. All were plenty smoky, perhaps too much after even a couple hours, and not a drop of creosote to be seen. I also close the top vent almost all the way (!!) to keep temps down.

I may try smoking low for an hour or so and finishing the cook in the oven, to get a lighter smoke flavor.

Back