Bacon/ pork belly question

M Crooks

TVWBB Fan
So my first time making bacon went great. My buddy was at a Koren market in Chicago and asked if I wanted anything. I very quickly responded with pork belly or side if it was under $4.99 a pound. He then came back and asked if I wanted boneless for $3.69 or $3.49 bone in? There is a slight language barrier between him and the butcher, then agian him and me. He again told me it was pork belly and they will only sell it whole. Still confused I roll the dice and just tell him boneless and get it. So an hour later he showed up with 10 pounds of the whole side for $36. They cut the all the rib bones and left all the meat and fat all the way to the skin.

Can I quick cure with skin on and remove after smoking? Should I cut the meat in between bones off after smoking before slicing?

Didnt think to ask you guys before I rubbed to slabs so pics half way into that.

I'm no expert on bacon, not by any means. I've only done it twice. I've READ that it is better to cut the skin off first, so as to better allow the brining process to take place. I'm sure the others with tons more experience than me when it comes to bacon will advise you soon. Good luck. You got a pretty good price, by the way. I just paid $4.99/lb. a couple of weeks ago.

Ya I paid 4.99 for my last one but it was skinless. Hmm thought I read it was easier after smoked?

Like I say, I'm no expert. A novice is probably a stretch!! I just did some reading before I did mine. I used Bob Correll's method both times and it came out great. My first belly was supposed to be skinned and it still had the Hide on it when I unwrapped it. I skinned it and it took me about 20 minutes and it was a bi@#h!!

M Crooks, that kind of cut is called JBO Japanese Break Operation. That's what I also buy. Never heard of until the person who gets it for me asked which I wanted. Good stuff, meaty!

Hope this helps

I always cut the skin off. Why? Don't know really. I Just feel better about my cure making it threw. Looking at your pics, it looks like you might have way to much tender on it. If that's the case and it's been less then 36hrs you can rinse it. Then soak it for a few hrs. Changing the water every 1/2hr. Too much cure #1 or tenderquick will make you sicker then a dog. Pink salt or Cure #1 as it is called is more than just salt. It also contains 6.25% sodium nitrite. (There is a Cure #2 but they are not interchangeable.) This is NOT table salt and should never ever be used as such. Do NOT I repeat DO NOT eat it raw. It is for curing only and when not in use should not even be left in the confines of your kitchen so that it is not used accidentally to season your French fries.
Besides providing that awesome pinkish color and pure bacon-y taste to the bacon (nitrite free bacon just pretty much tastes like spareribs) sodium nitrite helps inhibit botulism so if you plan on cold smoking (below 100 degrees) do not skip this.

I've broke a few belly's in my time and a very smart old world cooker taught me this and gave me this recipe
This is for 4lbs

¼ cup salt
½ cup brown sugar
2 Tablespoons coarse black pepper
½ teaspoon ground bay
1 teaspoon granulated onion
1 teaspoon granulated garlic
½ teaspoon ground thyme
1 teaspoon of pink salt (Cure #1)

STEP1
In a plastic container mix the salt, brown sugar, black pepper, bay, garlic, onion and thyme together well. Taste to make sure you like it. You do not HAVE to taste it but if you want to taste it you want to make sure you do it BEFORE you add the pink salt. Remember what I said earlier? It is for curing not for eating. It tastes like BLECH and can make you sick. Once you have tasted the seasoning and like it add the pink salt (Cure #1) and mix well. This is your cure. Now apply this curing mix all over your pork belly. Push it into the cracks and crevices of the belly. Get the whole thing good and covered.

STEP2
Now take the seasoned belly, and put it in a ziplock freezer bag. Make sure you write the date on it. Place in the refrigerator and forget about it for 7-10 days. You can under cure bacon but you can not over cure bacon. So make sure you leave it at minimum a week. Ignore the juices and water that accumulate at the bottom of the pan. It is harmless and expected. The cure will also slowly start to disappear but that just means it is working. After 3-4 days flip the bell. After a week or so remove it from the refrigerator and give it a good smell. Does it smell rancid or rotten? Don’t think twice just toss it away. Sorry but there is no saving rancid meat. Try again and this time make sure the whole thing is good and covered with the cure mixture. Smell good? Then under cold water rinse off as much of the cure as possible and soak it for an hour or so changing the water out every 1/2hr.

step3Then we need to let it sit overnight and let it form the pellicle. Basically you take the meat and put it on a rack in a pan “suspending the meat” so airflow can hit it on all sides. This dries the surface of the meat out and forms a sticky layer on the outside that helps with smoke penetration. Then slam it in the smoker which ever way you seem fit. Cold smoke? about 6hrs. Hot smoke? I do mine between 180-200 until it hits about 150.

Sorry for the long post. Belly is to precious and expensive to break. Plus I've seen people get really really sick from not doing it right

First thanks for telling me that. I used one table spoon per pound which is what is on the bag of tender quick. I am filling everyday and curing for at least seven days. I didn't use brown sugar or black pepper this time in the cure. I am going to wash it all off anyway so just am trying it without.

Well after 10min on Google I guess this is debated and can be done either way. Some remove before cure others after smoke and then go on to tell what other dish they use the smoked skin in. I am a day into the cure so I will leave it this time.

Back