Bacon Help!

Elsie D.

TVWBB Fan
Hi all:

I started curing (Ruhlman's recipe) 3 pork bellies (Large Black Pig) on June 23. On June 26, 3 days later, I decided to have what turned out to be a mild heart attack and I was carted off by ambulance to the Heart Institute in our city. I have just now come home and, of course, my first thought is this bacon. (We have our priorities, you know!) Since it has been curing for longer than would normally be optimal, is there anything I should do prior to smoking it? I was thinking of rinsing it off today and letting it pellicule overnight and smoking tomorrow although to be honest, it might be better (for me) if I could wait until tomorrow and smoke on Sunday. Are there any special steps I should take given that it has been curing longer that it is supposed to? The answer may be here on a board already but I don't quite have the energy to go looking for it. Any and all help appreciated. By the way, my husband overhauled the cure every other day.

Elsie

Elsie,

So sorry to read about your health! I hope you make a full recovery. Girl, what are worrying about bacon for
icon_eek.gif
? But, if that bacon must go on, I'd just rinse well as you stated and proceed as usual. I don't think a few extra days will really hurt it. What you can do before smoking, is trim a small piece off (after rinsing) and fry it up in a skillet. Taste it for the salt level. If it tastes good, then all is well. If it's too salty, then soak it in ice cold water for an hour and then slice and fry again. Keep doing this until you've removed the excess salt. I hope you are back to 100% soon!

Paul

Back