bacon cure

Chris L.

TVWBB Member
I have been looking at different methods of making bacon. So far I have basically come across two methods - dry cure & wet cure. I find that on this board most of you are using the dry cure (buckboard - Hi Mountain) method. Unfortunately I can't get Hi Mountain up here, so I'm limited to using Morton's Tender Quick or Prague Powder.

The wet cure recipe involves a brine/injection with water, Morton's TQ, maple syrup/honey/brown suger & some other good stuff. Has anyone tried this method?

I guess my question is, what would be the difference in end product between the dry & wet cure methods? Saltiness? Any input is appreciated.

Chris

Hi Mountain ships to Canada I believe. It looks like they do on their Checkout page anyway.

The differences (flavor, texture, saltiness) between the two approaches vary; much depends on the ingredients in the cures, the type of cuts on which they're used and how well one follows instructions, e.g., how well one pays attention to proportion in the cures, length of time curing v. thickness of the cut, injection technique, etc.

I much prefer the flavor of dry-cured bacon over injected wet-cured. Imo, the latter lose some meat flavor during the cure. Try both and see what you think.

Here's what I use:
1 package of Morton's Tender Quick
1.5 cups of maple syrup
.5 cup of molasses
.5 gal of apple cider
.25 cup of coarse ground black pepper
water to cover the meat if needed but I've never needed it.

I cure it for 14 days in the liquid in the bottom of the frig.

It starts out in all that liquid and then has to be soaked in water that is frequently changed for at least 24 hours. We had bacon sandwiches tonight. It has a great bacon flavor. I made this 5 or 6 times and am really pleased with the result.

Griff

Griff - are you using pork belly? And how much is a package of tenderquick? I only have a very large canister of it from Costco...

Adam

I'm using pork butts or loins if I'm doing back (Canadian) bacon. I use a 2 pound bag each cure. That's why I have to soak the bejesus out of it. I usually do one butt for buckboard and a loin for back bacon. Here's a pic of some of each after vacuum packing
070905215234.JPG

Griff

Back