Bacon #2

Joel Kiess

TVWBB All-Star
My second bacon:

I purchased a 4lb piece of belly at a local butcher - skin was off. I cured it using Bob's method plus some maple syrup and brown sugar and a little pepper. Here it is after a week in the cure:

IMG_20121014_121619.jpg

flip side:

IMG_20121014_121742.jpg

After about 2 1/2 hours it was reading 140' throughout

IMG_20121014_145117.jpg

The butcher told me to bring the finished bacon back in and he'd slice it for me. Took him up on that! He even fried up a couple of slices and was pretty impressed - kept passing it around to everyone behind the counter to try. One guy said 'we could sell that'!

Here's a pound (4lbs yielded a bit over 3lbs):

IMG_20121021_103634.jpg

Out of the frying pan and...

IMG_20121021_105438.jpg

..onto the plate!

IMG_20121021_105635.jpg

Better than my first attempt - adding the syrup and brown sugar gave it character that just the tender quick lacked. I also used some maple wood for smoking.

Last edited:
Outstanding job on that bacon, Joel..!!! Man, that looks tasty. Thanks for the details. I really have to try this soon. Great post.

Mike

Excellent bacon Joel! I am down to my last package from the last one I did so gotta pick up some pork belly this week!

Homemade bacon is the best, and relatively easy. Yours looks fantastic Joel. Nicely cooked eggs too, btw.

Joel.... Your Bacon and Your Potato Salad??!!
HellYeah, I'm comin' over man!! Double that plate!!

Jim, those are eggs! Score for Gary. But hey you get a plate either way. My wife likes them scrambled and I've been adding Penzeys Fox Point seasoning.

Back