Backyard BBQ Advice Please

That sounds about right Rick, I added fuel about 9 hours in then again a few more at the 13 hour mark. Probably used most of an 18 pound bag of K-Professional all in all.
Good to know.
I have a 12+ pound prime packer, that I've been itching to smoke.
I'll probably do another cook, or two, just make sure that I have it dialed in. I'm sure that I do, but it was so easy, that I'm suspicious 🤣

A second (or third) butt test is far from a bad idea, getting to know what’s happening is the most important thing you can do be relaxed when something is cooking, greater knowledge becomes greater enjoyment. When you do the brisket, you will fuss and start to wonder if it’s OK, the one thing I have learned is don’t get all “tuned up” and start to fiddle around, leave it alone, try to sleep, it will be fine. I’ve had them take what felt like an eternity and then I set one up for overnight expecting to take it off about noon and when I woke up at 6:00 it was reading 205! After trying to find clean pants I flew down the steps and poked the thing, it quaked like jello! Pulled, wrapped, coolered and waited. It was possibly the best one yet!
My point is really don’t sweat it, relax, choose something good to read, listen to, pleasant project to do and let it roll. Feeding friends and family should be relaxing, satisfying and enjoyable! You will do fine!

A second (or third) butt test is far from a bad idea, getting to know what’s happening is the most important thing you can do be relaxed when something is cooking, greater knowledge becomes greater enjoyment. When you do the brisket, you will fuss and start to wonder if it’s OK, the one thing I have learned is don’t get all “tuned up” and start to fiddle around, leave it alone, try to sleep, it will be fine. I’ve had them take what felt like an eternity and then I set one up for overnight expecting to take it off about noon and when I woke up at 6:00 it was reading 205! After trying to find clean pants I flew down the steps and poked the thing, it quaked like jello! Pulled, wrapped, coolered and waited. It was possibly the best one yet!
My point is really don’t sweat it, relax, choose something good to read, listen to, pleasant project to do and let it roll. Feeding friends and family should be relaxing, satisfying and enjoyable! You will do fine!
This is very sage advice.

Backyard BBQ is all about relaxing, chilling out and enjoying the day.

Sometimes the best course of action is to do nothing at all and see what happens.

Even "bad" brisket is pretty good and there's usually no problems that a little slather of your favorite sauce can't fix ;)

Aside from the fuel it was a hell of a lot more relaxing than manning a grill for hours on end worrying about each person’s specific orders. Some don’t like cheese, some don’t want a bun, some like it bloody has hell and others like burnt to a crisp. The wings are too spicy. All the while I never get to hang with my friends and enjoy the company.
Again thanks for the input I can see many more back yard bbq’s in the future this year!

My wife always says “Just do something easy like hot dogs or burgers.” She does not see the ease in putting on a larger piece of anything and letting it roast, I am very fond of a good burger but, I just don’t much see the “ease” of standing over the grill fooling with burgers and hot dogs for half an hour when I could put a meatloaf on or chicken on a spit and enjoy my new deck for an hour or so. Or make all the damned sides since she’s decided that she no longer remembers how. Sometimes there are the strains of “What can I do...?” But, if I have to tell people every step, I might as well just do it myself.
Glad your party turned out well, invited to a buddy’s for some “Derby” festivities next week, we shall see...

Back