Babybacks on the WSM 14.5

Vaughan,How did you set-up this terrific cook; I.e, amount of charcoal and woods,temperature maintained for how long,did you wrap,etc.?

Last edited:
Vaughan,How did you set-up this terrific cook; I.e, amount of charcoal and woods,temperature maintained for how long,did you wrap,etc.?
Thanks for asking. I used the attached charcoal holder sightly rounded with a small amount of paraffin at the top covered with 2 or 3 briquettes. I use 4 or 5 two inch square chunks of hickory. I let this burn while I prep the ribs. Once the ribs are prepped I put then in the smoker. I run the WSM at 250 degrees. I did these about 4 1/2 hours. I do not wrap my ribs and I do not use a water pan. I have a Hunsaker Vortex plate. I use Weber KC Rub with a good coat of brown sugar.

Hope this helps.

Attachments

• basket.jpg
    basket.jpg
    56.5 KB · Views: 4
Thanks for asking. I used the attached charcoal holder sightly rounded with a small amount of paraffin at the top covered with 2 or 3 briquettes. I use 4 or 5 two inch square chunks of hickory. I let this burn while I prep the ribs. Once the ribs are prepped I put then in the smoker. I run the WSM at 250 degrees. I did these about 4 1/2 hours. I do not wrap my ribs and I do not use a water pan. I have a Hunsaker Vortex plate. I use Weber KC Rub with a good coat of brown sugar.

Hope this helps.
Thanx heaps and I also have the Hunsaker Vortex Plate for my WSM “Classic”. Where did you obtain that nifty charcoal holder? It’s probably too small for for a WSM 18”??

Attachments

• 9DE10FED-E930-4A20-8B9C-61285633F320.jpeg
    9DE10FED-E930-4A20-8B9C-61285633F320.jpeg
    261.9 KB · Views: 5
Last edited:
Thanx heaps and I also have the Hunsaker Vortex Plate for my WSM “Classic”. Where did you obtain that nifty charcoal holder? It’s probably too small for for a WSM 18”??
Amazon. You can Google this on Amazon. They have this as well as others. Mine is heavy duty stainless steel and works wonderfully. No buyers remorse.

only fire #8537 Charcoal Ash Basket, Stainless Steel Charcoal Holder with Handles, Grilling Accessories, Fits Kamado Joe Classic​

Back