Babybacks...5 hrs and still tough

D Reinknecht

TVWBB Member
I have had 4 racks of babybacks at 220 - 225 for 3 hours, then increased to 250 (can't get it hotter - about 20 outside) after 5 hours the ribs look great but do not tear from the bone at all. Should I keep them on another hour or take them off so they don't dry out?
Help!
Thanks!!

I'd leave them on for another hour, they should be fine. Also, you could try wrapping them in foil for 45 minutes or so.

Kev

Another hour wont kill them.

You might want to look at foiling them next time for the middle two hours, it is commonly refered too as a 3:2:1 cook, 3 hours getting some smoke, 2 hours in foil, (with or without extra juice), then open the foil for the last hour or so to let the rub settle down again, (and perhaps a glaze or mop sauce every 15 minutes).

Some folks do a 4:1:1 smoke which is just more smoke to start, then less time in the foil, and a finishing hour.

Or cook them at higher temps from the get-go, or both. Ribs do not need grate temps that low--and if those are your lid temps that's way too low.

What did you end up doing and how did they come out?

I did 3 racks today @ 280 lid. They were on at 10:45 and off at 3:45. No foil, and they were just a slight "pull" off the bone tender, but not fall off. I prefer to have the slight "tug" like this.

Thanks for all the advice and feedback. I'll try the foil next time as I have seen it talked about on numerous posts.

I left them on another hour and then pulled them off and coated with the 5/1 BBQ sauce.
They were still nice and juicy with a good smoke flavor, they just didn't fall off the bone as they had done in the past. The neighbors didn't seem to mind as they were quickly consumed.
Thanks again for the input

Cook the bbacks hotter as suggested, I cook mine at 260-270 lid.....usually finished in around 4 hours.

You just gotta keep an eye on them.

I smoked 3 racks on sunday 3 hours at 240, 45 min. in tin foil with a little apple juice and honey then back on the smoker for 45 min.at 270 came out just fine. Pull off the bone, finger licking GOOD
icon_wink.gif

Back