Baby Steps - "New" offset smoker.

Aaron Legge

TVWBB Fan
I'm still telling Santa once a week that I want a WSM for Christmas because my knockoff Brinkmann is quite literally on its last legs.

When lo and behold I found on kijiji an offset smoker for $60. I don't know if it's brand name or not but the seller is delivering it to me with his extra charcoal. He only smokes fish and bought an electric one.

This should last me until Santa visits.

smoker-1.jpeg

smoker-2.jpeg

smoker-3.jpeg

smoker-4.jpeg

What I've learned using my offset is to keep the food towards the exhaust end. Get a charcoal starter and some wood. I use split oak logs. But hickory chunks will work. Keep the exhaust open 100%. Start with a fair amount of charcoal to get it up to temp then add the logs or chunks. I add more coals from the charcoal starter about once a hour and a fresh log about every two hours. I made my charcoal starter outta a coffee can drilled holes in bottom and sides. These require a lot of attention and a lot of fuel, but they are fun.

Here is mine. I have it out in the yard now.
utf-8BSU1HMDAzMTgtMjAxMDA0MDgtMjA0OS5qcGc.jpg

Mods. Blah. So how'd it cook? U like it?

I do a cheater water pan if I want. I set a big aluminum foil pan up on bricks right up next to the firebox in the food chamber. And that works just fine for me. Although I am planning on making a second drain hole on her.

With small offsets, I'm more concerned about burning a clean fire than keeping 'er at a certain lownslow temp. I play around with mine for ribs and chicken, so I open the vents and let 'er cook where she wants to, somewhere 'round 300. However, if the wind is variable, I move the thing in and out of the wind more than I open or shut the vents to adjust the temps and I usually just burn sticks since I have a BUNCH of wood.

Back