Baby Backs this weekend

Status
Not open for further replies.

Steve G.

TVWBB Member
With great success last weekend with my spares, I am going to give BBs a try this weekend. (just now getting into ribs...usually a brisket and chicken guy...).

My PLAN is to do a 2-1-1 technique. I have read a lot of posts that people seem to think that 3-2-1 is too long for BBs. My racks are all less than 3lbs each.

Any advice on this cook time? I am assuming between 235* and 250* dome temp...right?

Thanks

Kevin Taylor's method, which, if followed exactly, is claimed to produce perfect results every time. Special attention must be paid to temperature and weight of individual racks of ribs.

Steve,
I am new to cooking ribs as well. I followed a post by Stogie where he smoked his ribs bare for three hours, in foil for 2 and a half, and smoked out of foil for the last half hour. The whole thing would take six hours over 225 degress heat.
I tried it for the first time about a month ago. I used the BRITU rub recipe. I basted the ribs after the first two hours with apple juice and veg. oil. I then sprinkled some dry brown sugar on the ribs before I foiled them, and then basted the ribs again before I wrapped them in foil. I used hickory to smoke them as well.
The WSM stayed at 225 the whole time, and the ribs still had a nice pull to them. One of the slabs was under 3 lbs. and it almost fell apart, however, they were not mushy in any way, they still tasted awesome. The 2 and a half hours in foil worked perfect.
Everyone loved them, even the women who don't like eating ribs because they think they are "too mesy" (not my wife thank God) ate them up.
I still get compliments about those ribs I made, and that was only my second time at cooking baby backs.
I you do your 2-1-1 method at higher heat that might be enough time. But they might be a little tough. But they will still turn out great. Some people have better luck at foiling four a half hour, some an hour and a half. All it is is your personal taste. Just experiment and have fun.
Good luck,
Ben

OK...I cooked my backs this weekend. I did a 3-1-1 method and the texture and tenderness were perfect. However, they had sort of a funky taste to them. I can't figure out how to describe it other than sort of bitter. I don't know if I used too much TX BBQ rub or what. Most of this flavor seemed to be in the top layer..not deep down into the meat. My thinking is that maybe the brown sugar base of the TX BBQ rub caramelized and burned giving it that flavor it had...I don't know.

I used hickory chunks...about 3....one of them had the bark on one side, but I don't think it would have made that much of a difference. i used the TX BBQ rub last weekend on spares and they did not taste this way....very strange.

Any ideas.

I used Stogie's foil method with BB ribs this past weekend. I used a fairly heavy coating of the #1 Texas BBQ Rub & didn't notice any strange flavor. These were my best ribs yet.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back