Baby Backs question

BrianRichards

TVWBB Member
I did about 6 racks of Baby Backs on my 22" WSM. I think I smoked them too long instead of a pink ring the meat was pink all the way through. They weren't dry but had chew similar to a St Louis rib rather than baby backs. Still very tasty. Did I use too much smoke or just have them on the cooker too long (~6 hours no foil).

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by BrianRichards:
Did I use too much smoke or just have them on the cooker too long (~6 hours no foil). </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
Several things come to mind. First, were they enhanced ribs? Second how long before you put the ribs on the smoker did you put the rub on, and was it salty? At what temp did you cook them at. I cook my BB's at 250º grate temp and they take right around 5 hrs. give or take a few min.

I used Texas BBQ Rub (brand I buy online) it's not terribly salty, but they were rubbed about 12 hours before hitting the smoke.

Temps were below 250. Usually between 205-225 for most of the time, occasionally had to try to get it back above 200 at some poing.

They were enhanced ribs.

Oh yeah I cut the rub with about 2 parts rub to 1 part brown sugar. I was running out to so I wanted to cut the rub a little to stretch it. Also, base was 2 parts mustard to 1 part Worcestershire sauce before applying the rub.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by BrianRichards:
They were enhanced ribs. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
That'll make em pink to the bone, and hammy tasting.
icon_mad.gif

Very familure with the Texas BBQ rubs, as I have been using them for years. They are not salty at all.

So nothing to do but use what I have in the freezer and find a better butcher? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

pretty much. be careful however they do not always put the "enhanced to taste like dog butt" on the label anymore. sometimes they hide it in very small print on the plastic wrapper. might also tell the store manager why you are not buying thier ribs anymore it may sway his opinion on buying that mess. my dream is to end this trend of enhancing meat someday.

Back