Baby Backs or Spare?

DavidD
Wow, I am surprised at the responses! I go for the St. Louis style. Best of both worlds. I can't believe nobody has mentioned them! I will sometimes buy spare ribs, trim them to St. Louis style and use the trimmings for ground pork tacos or meatloaf. If I am really lazy I will spend the extra money and go for the baby backs. But I think the St. Louis cut is the best of both worlds. John.

Hi Davidd,
Even cheap spares can turn out great, they're what I cook all the time.
Have you ever tried the 3-2-1 method to get the tenderness you're after?

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Rom Prakash:
Charles: What's the 3-2-1 method? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

3 hours on WSM
2 hours wrapped in foil and back on WSM
1 hour out of foil on WSM
Results are a little to fall off the bone for me.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Bob T.:
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Rom Prakash:
Charles: What's the 3-2-1 method? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

3 hours on WSM
2 hours wrapped in foil and back on WSM
1 hour out of foil on WSM
Results are a little to fall off the bone for me. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
I agree. I think you will find that most use something closer to 4-1-1 but that varies quite a bit from person to person. This timing will also vary depending on whether you're cooking spare ribs or loin backs with the latter requiring less than time.

Bill

Based on this post and all the support for spares, i bought another pack for the smoker. I gotta admit, though i foiled and they were meaty and tender, I still strongly favor baby backs. I found the trimmings of the spares to be so/so at best, so if i figure the cost of trimmed out spares vs. baby backs, i see little difference, not to mention the fact that i simply find the baby's much more appetizing. I am very surprised by the overwhelming support for spares, but to each his own I suppose.

I would say spares since I can get them trimmed St Louis style from my local butcher. Baby backs are a good go to if you can't get ribs already trimmed St Louis style as the cost savings can go away once you have completed the trimming process. I like spares untrimmed but many people find the brisket flap and featherbones a little scary. On another note I have abandoned the 3-2-1 cook and now just leave my ribs tightly wrapped in foil with a little apple juice in a cooler after they come off the smoker. I find that they are more tender this way and they never turn to mush. Just be sure to do in as soon as the meat separates from the bone with little effort.

Back