Baby backs on WSM - need better glaze recipe!

Max

TVWBB Member
Tried my best to follow this recipe... http://virtualweberbullet.com/rib1.html

Deviated by using apple wood instead of oak/cherry mix and used Sweet Baby Rays instead of KC Masterpiece for the sauce.

Pics...

sOZtDuXl.jpg

xOY3Xi7l.jpg

d3tgaztl.jpg

85QYGx6l.jpg

Used some honey from my parent's hive mixed with SB Ray's for the sauce...
wP8X1jpl.jpg

B660HIll.jpg

zKCvsIEl.jpg

wf7WTZNl.jpg

Recipe was good. I would use this dry rub again. Still searching for an amazing sauce/glaze for the comps...

Rub recipe....
1/4 cup sugar
1/4 cup non-iodized table salt
1/8 cup brown sugar, dried
4 teaspoons chili powder
2 teaspoons ground cumin
1 teaspoon Accent (MSG)
1 teaspoon cayenne pepper
1 teaspoon black pepper, freshly ground
1 teaspoon granulated garlic
1 teaspoon onion powder

Max those are great lloking ribs, I too keep searching for that glaze, don't think I ever made the same ribs twice when it comes to how i finish them

Max, those ribs look mighty fine to me. I came up with this glaze at Thanskgiving-time, in hopes of perfecting a HAM Burnt Ends recipe. Have given up the quest for Ham BE, but used this basic mix on a spiral sliced ham and it worked well there too. Since then, I've used it with pretty good succes on pork ribs. I prefer Saint Louis style, and really like this on them. Tons of sugar content, so hit the ribs a couple of times on each side, at the very end.

Jeff, sweet-talk your lovely bride into letting you smoke a ham, with a baste/glaze along these lines:

On stovetop, mix and reduce some combination of the following... Apple Juice, Brown Sugar, Honey, Crushed Chilies, Orange Marmalade, and a healthy dose of Captain Morgan's (or your rum of choice).

Start with half of saucepan full of apple juice (or apple cider). Then add the other stuff to taste. Add some of everything in relatively small portions, then start tasting and adding stuff til you get something that works. Add small amounts of rum early on, then quite a bit right at the end. Booze will cook off some in smoker, and won't penetrate into meat much, so don't skimp on the rum.

I'm sure this is a common simple recipe, and can be modified a million ways... Orange Juice as base? Peach preserves instead of orange marmalade? All honey and no brown sugar? All brown sugar and no honey? Heat/spice source other than the crushed chilies? Bourbon instead of rum? Tequila(if you so inclined-none for me thanks)? Cloves!? Cinnamon?

Fruit juice + sweet + heat(spice&temp) + booze = a happy pig.

I'm sure this cold be improved on many levels, so definitely open to suggestions.

Back