Baby backs on the 22

TonyS T-Bone

TVWBB Super Fan
Costco non-cryovac backs, 2 big slabs cooked in a rack, indirect with light smoke. 8 oz total. Memphis rib rub. Dry-brined overnight w kosher salt. 4.5 hour cook wrapped in B.P. after 3 hours. So good. Tender great "toothiness." (lol Is that even a word?)

F6A928AD-39CD-4AFF-849B-6ED7762C2F40.jpeg
84E36CFD-6E28-43E0-8B5E-75ACEF705280.jpeg
Grilled some asparagus that was on sale, doctored up some beans and boy it was gooooo-ood.

2B7AFA02-1C0D-459A-AE6E-6DC599A02D99.jpeg

Toothiness may not be recognized by Webster, but it's a real word here; great bite without falling apart. I've been struggling recently to get that perfect "toothiness" bite without becoming too tender. Tried 3-2-1 method (on the 22 WSM) and even at 275 or less, its been too much time/heat resulting in a fall off the bone rib. Went to a 3-1-1 and got closer to that perfect bite, but still not there. Seems like the alum foil retains too much heat and going to try BP next time at 3 hrs in and see how they turn out. Kudos on the excellent cook! Looks great.

The ribs look great, nice work! I predict that you will receive many requests to repeat that cook! I especially like that you cooked them "dry" so sauce could be added (or not) per eater preference. :)

R

Toothiness may not be recognized by Webster, but it's a real word here; great bite without falling apart. I've been struggling recently to get that perfect "toothiness" bite without becoming too tender. Tried 3-2-1 method (on the 22 WSM) and even at 275 or less, its been too much time/heat resulting in a fall off the bone rib. Went to a 3-1-1 and got closer to that perfect bite, but still not there. Seems like the alum foil retains too much heat and going to try BP next time at 3 hrs in and see how they turn out. Kudos on the excellent cook! Looks great.
Doubt you will have any better luck with the BP works great for brisket IMO for ribs not so much. You went at 275 for 5 hours, when I do them on my smoker same temp about 2 hours 20 minutes sprayed along the way then wrapped for 2 hours fall off the bone unwrap them throw them back on for another 15 minutes usually just baste them for that period with sauce of my choice.

You don't want them it seems to fall off the bone which is fine my family will only eat them that way. At 275 try 2 hours and 20 minutes but then maybe only an hour and a half wrapped. Not like you can't cook them longer if they don't get you where you need to be.

Back