Baby Backs Come Out Better Than Spares

Status
Not open for further replies.

jeff lowe

TVWBB Super Fan
Is it just me or is it a coincidence that my baby back ribs always come out much better than my spare ribs. I think it may have to do with the meat. I go to a customized meat market for my baby backs and go to costco for my spares. I am certain that the meat is about 90 percent of good bbq.

Don't get me wrong I have made spares that came out very good its just that I am much more consistent with baby backs. My spares many times come out tough even after 6-7 hours of cooking and no lid peeking. I have tried foiling, marinating, dry rubs, carson's technique, etc, etc. Different temps it just seems I do baby backs a lot better.

Any thoughts?

Baby back come from the loin area of the hog, a more tender cut to begin with.
A lot of Baby Backs used on the Competition circut because of the same reasons you express.
I prefer the flavor of spares over baby's but that a personel thing.
If you get spares down they are great.
Jim

Jim,

How long and at what temp do you cook your spares? Dry rub with mustard slather? Any tips appreciated.

First look for spares that are meaty, no shiners if possible and good amount of fat. I skin the membrane and use lite coat of mustard and rub a couple of hours before the cook.
My average cooking temps is closer to 250, they take 6 to 8 hours, rotate and flip in the rib rack 4 hours in, start spraying with applejuice or something simalar at the halfs.Glaze if I'm going to the last 30 miniutes.
I like tender, pull clean from the bone ribs, not fall off the bone.
Jim

One thing that improved my spares was trimming them St. Louis style. This site has a nice section on rib trimming.

I don't know if it made them taste any better, but they look better and are easier eating.

Last couple time I cooked ribs, I slathered and dry rubbed. Cooked around 250 till they were done. (Five hours?).

Darren

When I cook ribs, I like to cook a butt on the top rack and the ribs on the bottom, that way the butt drips onto the ribs and the taste ends up like candy.

ddl

I agree with you totally regarding bbacks. We have tried numerous times to use St Louis but always go back to bbacks. Seems the local Q joint uses St Loui,s but our bbacks are better by a factor of 3 or 4. We usually get our bbacks at Costco and have tried their spares but have not had any success.

I suppose I should have said that I love baby backs. With spares, tho, I can afford to experiment a little more. (Like twice as much).

Speaking of baby backs, here's a little plug for one of our local butchers, Gartners (no affiliation, ....), here in Portland. For Christmas, I ordered a pork loin roast. They didn't have one in the size I wanted so the guy goes back in the cooler, pulls out a big piece of pig and cuts me off a nice chunk. He bones it, weighs it, ties it real nice, and wraps it up. I get home, unwrap the roast, and sitting on top are the bones. Free baby back appetizers.

(They make excellent pepperoni and jerky, too.)

Darren

(Hey, 31 inane posts and I'm a veteran member!)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back