Baby backs and Salmon??

Status
Not open for further replies.

Brad Carter

TVWBB Member
Is there any problem with smoking samlon simultaneously with baby backs? (i.e. will the pork absorb any of the "fishy" flavor?) This is my first time smoking the salmon, just thought I'd make sure!

Assuming the ribs are going on top, I'd be much more concerned about the salmon coming out tatsing like pork /infopop/emoticons/icon_eek.gif

I was talking with another member (Jeff Lowe) about smoking fish. I guess I am suffering under some false info on smoking fish. I have been told that once you smoke fish in your WSM there is no way you will ever remove the "fishy taste" from other smokes. I am new also, and had decided not to test fish until I was ready to invest in a second WSM. I would be intrested in any first hand info from fellow smokers. Jeff tells me fish are no problem. He was talking about salmon, tuna and even barracuda! Any I should worry about?

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Steve Hilmer:
[qb]I have been told that once you smoke fish in your WSM there is no way you will ever remove the "fishy taste" from other smokes.[/qb] <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>I seriously doubt that. Under that logic we'd have to have separate WSMs for pork, beef, chicken, fish. Maybe if you were doing fish at the same time as other meats maybe you'd have a problem, but...

Steve,

There doesn't seem to be a problem getting a fishy smell in foods cooked after doing fish. However, if you open up the cooker and sense an undesirable odor, you can wash the cooking grates and scrub the inside of the cooker with a stiff brush and hot soapy water.

I'm very sensitive to fish smells, and I always wash the grates but not the inside of the cooker.

Regards,
Chris

I once smoked ribs on the top grate and salmon on the bottom grate. The rendered pork drippings flavored the salmon. The wife really liked the flavor. It seemed more "barbeque" flavored than normal.

Well here's an update on what happened. The ribs were on for about 2 hrs at which point I moved them all to the top grate and put the salmon strips on the bottom. Left the salmon on for not more than 2 hrs before taking it off. I did not notice a difference in flavor for the salmon or the ribs, so all in all, I consider it a success! I also didn't note any "fishy smell" remaining inside the smoker, I think as long as you clean the grates there will be no problem for the next smoke.

P.S. I marinated the salmon overnight, maybe that has something to do with it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back