Baby Back Ribs

John R.

Yes, I know everyone has probably used this recipe with great results, but I just had to pass on the message that I had my best results this past weekend after several already successful BB ribs smoks.

I use the Best Ribs in the Universe recipe just like it's written. It's virtually fool proof. But 90 minutes before eating, foil the rib racks. Then remove the foil for the last 30 minutes. The foil really gets that final tenderizing in, generates great moisture, and the final 30 minutes creates the great bark. My family "taste tested" several sauces just to see what we like best. Winners were Jerrys Gourmet original and Dancing Pigs from Memphis. But half the ribs were eaten "as is." I've had great luck with Sam's Club cryovac ribs. Did six racks and all came out great. Even better leftovers!

I know this is old hat for many of you, but don't you just love it when everything comes out better than expecte?!

John I just tried this recipe this spring. I haven't looked back since. I have made them 5 or 6 times since.

I have to tell you a funny story. I made 12 slabs of ribs for my brothers July 4 party. Well I was mixing up the britu and don't ask me why but when I got to the chili powder I didn't have any and substituded my home grown, dried, and powdered super chili hybrid peppers. Which are about the same heat as cayenne but a different flavor. Then when I get to the cayenne in the recipe I use powdered tabasco peppers which are quite hot. A few minutes after mixing the rub up it hits me. These ribs are going to be spicy, very spicy.

I put nice coat of sauce on to try and sweeten it up. Well I got people coming up and saying the ribs were excellent but hot. Some said they were too spicy as they sat there eating them. Those out there that like spicy there is that groove you get in when something is spicy but you have to have another. I mean I have sweat pouring down my forehead. I was in the groove baby. The funny thing is just about everyone there was too. I have a friend who has an ulcer and loves spicy food. He tore them up. He ate as many as I did. He said got tore up the next day.

They were definately too hot. Even for me. I liked them but it definately was too much. I do think I would like a pinch more hot pepper than the britu recipe calls for though.

Back