Baby Back Rack Attack

I needed a clever title. That's the best I could do :(

Fourth cook. Cooked up three racks of baby back ribs.

Meethead's Memphis dust on two of the racks. The recipe with salt. One rack had the Memphis dust plus some heat. For the heat, for every
tablespoon of Memphis dust, I added 1/4 tsp chili pepper and 1/4 tsp cayenne pepper. This is about 8% of the volume is based on heat.

Each rack received approx. three tablespoons of dust... The rack with heat received three tablespoons plus 1.5 tsp). Each received Approx Two on the meat side one on the bone side. Membranes removed.

Two racks were done in 4 hours. The third rack needed an extra 20 to 30 minutes. Rotated the grate approximately every 30 minutes. Cooking temperature was pretty close to 250 the whole way through. I do the poke trick and the internal temp was at 200°.

Ribs were served dry. We served some Sweet baby Ray's Original for some dipping. I really like the extra heat in the rub. It wasn't too overwhelming.

As you can tell by the photographs, I didn't really trim up my ribs on the end. Since they look kind of pointy :)

I learned the rotating grate trick from @Brett-EDH. Also got some ideas about heat based on his rub.

Attachments

• 20211017_124224.jpg
    20211017_124224.jpg
    192.9 KB · Views: 24
  • 20211017_142032.jpg
    20211017_142032.jpg
    178.8 KB · Views: 19
  • 20211017_182621.jpg
    20211017_182621.jpg
    195.6 KB · Views: 18
  • 20211017_182837.jpg
    20211017_182837.jpg
    193.2 KB · Views: 19
  • 20211017_183309.jpg
    20211017_183309.jpg
    197.6 KB · Views: 24
  • 20211017_183127.jpg
    20211017_183127.jpg
    176.3 KB · Views: 25
Looking good in the neighborhood! What’d you think of the heat? We love the flavor it provides. If you’re looking for a little more bark and candy in the done rib, I’d probably double your rub application. I do a full cover on mine and then recover 1 hour in. Your time is about right for the E6. I think I was 2:43 total cook, 250-275° with a probed pull of 203-207 on various sections.

What’d you think of the recipe?

Your cook looks solid! Well done!!!

Last edited:
Looking good in the neighborhood! What’d you think of the heat? We love the flavor it provides. If you’re looking for a little more bark and candy in the done rib, I’d probably double your rub application. I do a full cover on mine and the recover 1 hour in. Your time is about right for the E6. I think I was 2:43 total cook, 250-275° with a probed pull of 203-207 on various sections.

What’d you think of the recipe?

Your cook looks solid! Well done!!!

Thanks for the compliment on the cook.

I did not use your recipe verbatim. But I did see how much heat you had per volume. So I copied that as best I could. So I came up with 1/2 teaspoon of heat for about every two tablespoons of rub... Which I think was pretty close to what you had, approximately :)

Thanks for the compliment on the cook.

I did not use your recipe verbatim. But I did see how much heat you had per volume. So I copied that as best I could. So I came up with 1/2 teaspoon of heat for about every two tablespoons of rub... Which I think was pretty close to what you had, approximately :)
Recipes are only suggestions. You did it right!

I personally prefer to work in grams and percentages to decode a recipe. You did the same so you’re spot on.

I tend to make heat when I cook so sometime I get concerned that others can’t deal with my heat levels.

Glad you figured out what’s best for you.

Did you find you have enough rub on precook? Curious of your thoughts.

What I like most about my rub is no need to sauce as with enough rub, the ribs have a good balance of rub and natural sauce.

These reheat well in the microwave too for leftovers. We usually can get one more meal for 2-3 people with 3 racks. Usually 🤭

Recipes are only suggestions. You did it right!

I personally prefer to work in grams and percentages to decode a recipe. You did the same so you’re spot on.

I tend to make heat when I cook so sometime I get concerned that others can’t deal with my heat levels.

Glad you figured out what’s best for you.

Did you find you have enough rub on precook? Curious of your thoughts.

What I like most about my rub is no need to sauce as with enough rub, the ribs have a good balance of rub and natural sauce.

These reheat well in the microwave too for leftovers. We usually can get one more meal for 2-3 people with 3 racks. Usually 🤭

As I looked at my pictures, I noticed that there were spots of the ribs that were not really fully coated like other parts. So I did not do a very good job of applying the rub. I didn't notice it until I looked at the photographs after the fact and the ribs were already on the Grate.

I had plenty of rub left over. I had probably 10 tablespoons of rub sitting in a ziplock bag.

I apply my rub old school. The same as I do my parmesan cheese on my pasta :) I load up a measuring tablespoon and I tap it with a finger to gently spill out the rub from the tablespoon. For the rub, I probably need a shaker.

So lesson learn: I need to do a better job next time.

Of the three racks, my wife and I finished off the spicy rack. The kids did their best on one rack. And we have one full rack in the fridge that was never touched. I usually put the Rack in a oven at 350° and I heat it for 20 to 30 minutes. So I guess it's ribs for Monday night dinner :)

As I looked at my pictures, I noticed that there were spots of the ribs that were not really fully coated like other parts. So I did not do a very good job of applying the rub. I didn't notice it until I looked at the photographs after the fact and the ribs were already on the Grate.

I had plenty of rub left over. I had probably 10 tablespoons of rub sitting in a ziplock bag.

I apply my rub old school. The same as I do my parmesan cheese on my pasta :) I load up a measuring tablespoon and I tap it with a finger to gently spill out the rub from the tablespoon. For the rub, I probably need a shaker.
A
So lesson learn: I need to do a better job next time.

Of the three racks, my wife and I finished off the spicy rack. The kids did their best on one rack. And we have one full rack in the fridge that was never touched. I usually put the Rack in a oven at 350° and I heat it for 20 to 30 minutes. So I guess it's ribs for Monday night dinner :)
I save my old spice bottles and redeploy them with homemade rubs. Yes, you need a shaker for more liberal rub application. Or you could use your fingers and sprinkle your dust across your proteins. The shaker is faster and more even imo.

Keep your cooks coming. Being in FL you’ve got year round temps!

Back