Baby Back Prep

Brad Baker

TVWBB Fan
I've done maybe a dozen slabs of BB. My prep has involved removing the membrane and trimming any unwanted stuff, fat. etc., and dusting with a rub. So far, so good. One thing I have noticed while eating is additional bone material between the rib bones on one side of the slab. I don't like having to deal with this when chomping on a rib and so I have started cutting this piece of bone out from between the ribs. It is usually accompanied by some gristle and a bit of the good stuff, though I try to keep that to a minimum.

I didn't see this in the BRITU rib prep, so wondering - is this extra bone normal or is it just a result of the way the slabs were cut?

Sounds like spares just as Don said. Never had any BB like that. And i dont even think the pig have any cartilage near the loin ribs. (dont quote me on this...Im not a butcher)
icon_wink.gif

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Brad Baker:
I'm looking at Pork Rib Selection on the site here at the picture of how the ribs are supposed to be cut. If that upper cut was too close could that be part of the back bone? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

No, they're not spares because I've encountered what I think Brad is talking about on several slabs of loin back ribs. Best way I can describe it is a little chunk of loose bone on the top edge closest to the back bone on the narrow end of the slab. First time I noticed it was after the ribs were cooked and I bit into it. I thought it was normal?

Take a picture next time to show the guys here and I am sure someone will be able to tell you what it is. The group of men and women here are awesome and will go out of their way to help.

Brad, Scotty, do you mean really small pieces, around 1/4" and jagged from the smaller end of the rack? If so, this happens because the small, thick bones are marrow heavy and the end tips crumble after a long cook. I get the same thing doing pork chop stews. No real solution. Chew carefully
icon_smile.gif

Back