Auto Temp controllers ???

John Furdyn

TVWBB Pro
Posted similar thread under trading post.

Thought maybe I could move it here ???

Looking for the pros and cons of an auto temp controller for my WSM.

Any thoughts/comments/info etc, model#s placed to buy, etc appreciated.

Thanks

John,

I bought one a couple of years ago, a BBQ Guru with 10 cfm fan, just after I got the WSM, more out of fear for long overnight cooks. Now, three years in I'll keep it in case of emergency but never take it out of the bag. I've cooked for many hours both day and night without it and maintained great temps. The best tip I've found and used is to hand pack the charcoal ring tight with coals and wood. It's almost too easy, as easy as using my oven inside. Spend the money on meat, or a thermopen, or a nice enclosure. You'll be better served, also just my opinion. Good luck.

Ran a 18.5" WSM for 2 or 3 years before I bought my BBQ Guru ProQ II and 10 cfm fan. Never looked back. It makes long smokes so simple. On a 18 hour 4 shoulder smoke for the office (we do this every few months), I know when to start the coals and at what time I will need to reload before hitting the bed. All the time between is full on autopilot thanks to the power draft. 225* rock solid all the way and no fussing with the dampers at all.

I was a little hesitant to spend that much, but once you use one, you will wonder how you got along without it. And I have also used it in a few local competitions as well.

I vote, yes - worth getting.

PS - I seriously thought about getting a Superior Smoker SS2 earlier this year and it would have been fitted for the Pit Viper 10cfm fan as well.

Ran my WSM for years before I got a Guru - in the pre-digital period. Used it a few times then stopped. Don't find a need for it.

The problem is, I'm kinda gadget Guru to some degree.

When I saw it on the Alton Brown program last night it looked pretty neat.

The thought of not having to worry about the temps is great. Although I don't do a lot of long cooks, since getting the Vac sealer and cooking in larger quanitys. When I do high heat cooks I don't really have to worry too much about the temps running away.

My WSM is well protected from the wind, with my make shift wind breaker.

And for the most part, once my temps stabilize their pretty solid.

Guess I'll have to think about it a little more.

If they were cheaper I'd probably by one just to give it a try. Just like I did with my wireless remote thermometer. Which I can't remember the last time I used it.

Thanks all for your inputs.

I never used one, and I don't do allot of overnighters. But in your area in the dead of winter that might be helpful. I thought of getting one, but I usually do HH and that would be a waste of cash for me.

Tim

My wife got me one for my 50th birthday last month and so far I've done brisket, butts and ribs with it and the verdict is mixed. Don't bother for ribs, IMHO. More trouble than it's worth, but for longer/overnight cooks I find it gives me some peace of mind and lets me sleep more soundly. My current way of doing longer smokes is a one-two punch of a Stoker and Comp-K; I've gotten 16 hours out of it easily with no refueling required.

Given the wide range of unpredictable New England weather, I live by the thing. Fiddling with the vents is something I have no desire to do, and given I cook when it's 100 degrees out & 10 degrees out, it just makes my life easier. Set & forget.

Is it absolutely necessary? No.

I've had the same thoughts in CO. Temp diff can be 30 degrees day/night or the wind could pickup. Maverick temp alarms always happen overnight. I seem to get it dialed in pretty well mid cook but the first hour or two and after 6 hours are always a lot of vent adjustments. Probably save some heating bills going in/out of the back door in the winter. LOL

The little unit I saw on Alton Brown looks a lot cheaper than the computerized models.

Ive thought about getting one. I think its pretty unnessisary though. I cooked for 5 years on a chargriller before I got a wsm. the wsm already feels like Im cheating. It would be awesome for entertaining just to have that reassurance and for competitions just to know you've eliminated another thing that can go wrong, but I guess if your ATC takes a crap, thats a pretty major thing when your totally used to letting it run your pits

I have one, but don't really use it unless I want some higher temperatures, otherwise for anything 350 or below I don't use it.

As others have stated, the cooker is good enough to hold temperature close enough for a long period of time to not "need" the controller.

However, to "want" one is purely normal...

Need, no. For me however, being a bit of a gadget freak, I had to have one. Didn't want to spend to much so went with an Auber instruments controller.
I do mostly long cooks that end up as overnighters. The controller combined with a maverick 732 and controller makes it almost trouble free. Set and go to bed. 732 wakes me if there is a problem or something cooks faster than expected. Did 2 butts and a brisket this weekend. One of the butts (around 8lbs) was done in less than 11 hrs while the other took almost 15. Had anticipated 12 to 14. I would have slept right through it if not for the maverick. Controller holds temp within about a 5 degree+- range except when coals hit a large wood chunk. Temp may spike 15-25 degrees but will settle back to setting within 30 minutes.
Love mine.
Steve

I just got the new Stoker Black Box and did ribs saturday. It was pretty novel to have my temps hold steady at 220 (+/- 5F) for most of the cook without fiddling with the vents. Once the Wifi software is available in September, I'll sit on my couch in the colder months and watch my meats cook on my laptop.

But no, you don't need one.

I do not see one in my future. I like the challenge of manually controlling temps and developing the skills to do it.

The verdict is still out for me but I'll likely still get one just because it is a new toy to mess around with. Weather I'll spend $200+ is a different story.

A pro of course IMO will be that your temperatures will not drop.

A Con would be that it can not decrease your temperatures

Back