Auto temp control

Bob Hunter

TVWBB Pro
My Stoker finally died. It was one of the first and It's been a great tool. Can't even imagine how many cooks and hours it has seen.
Anyway what is everyone using these days? Are there new IOT devices that do the job?

Hi Bob. Once Rocks BBQ closed, I moved over to the Thermoworks Signals (controller) and Billows (fan). Still use the dog dish as an adapter between the Thermoworks Billows and the WSM. Combination works very well. One happy customer here.

Billows (fan) works with Thermoworks Signals (BBQ Alarm and Controller), Smoke X (long range BBQ Alarm and Controller), and ThermaQ.

I run a FireBoard 2 Drive with a BBQ Guru Pit Viper fan. I had an original Fireboard with drive adapter before that. They have worked great for me and the logging features and ability to add notes and pictures are hard to beat. How long does a 5lb pork loin take to cook at 275? I can’t remember, but my Fireboard history probably has a past cook that will get me close.

My Stoker finally died. It was one of the first and It's been a great tool. Can't even imagine how many cooks and hours it has seen.
Anyway what is everyone using these days? Are there new IOT devices that do the job?
Bob,

Would you be willing to sell a probe? I'm looking for one to disassemble to try and figure out how the serial number works, but hate to destroy a working probe of one I have.

What is wrong with your Stoker, does it power on? You might try the power adapter, those are a common failure on devices. I would check that to make sure you problem is not something simple to replace like that little brick, if it doesn't power on.

I went with smoke X4 with billows. I looked at the signals and the X4 and chose the dedicated remote vs having yet another thing on my phone. There isn't any logging is the only drawback.

Dan,

Looking at those ThermoWorks X4s really makes me wonder if it's not just a good time to switch myself. I don't really need logging, once I'm done with my cook I don't use my controller until I need to smoke some meat again...LOL Don't get me wrong, but I remember trying to use Stokerlog in one of the early incarnations and it was pretty difficult to keep things sane when opening the cover. I find I can fit most stuff on the top grill of my WSM. There's a sale going on for Black Friday, 25% off, so the X4 is only $149 + $69 for the billows.

My other choice is get a MEATER block (4 probes) which would be good for the meat and continue using my stoker for the pit. Cost more, but wifi meat probes look the shizzle. Even a single would be what I use most of the time, but not sure about distance. The MEATERs do have logging, so that might be attractive to you Dan.

I think either the X4 setup or the MEATER+ or MEATER block will be best bought on Black Friday.

Last edited:
Dan,

Looking at those ThermoWorks X4s really makes me wonder if it's not just a good time to switch myself. I don't really need logging, once I'm done with my cook I don't use my controller until I need to smoke some meat again...LOL Don't get me wrong, but I remember trying to use Stokerlog in one of the early incarnations and it was pretty difficult to keep things sane when opening the cover. I find I can fit most stuff on the top grill of my WSM. There's a sale going on for Black Friday, 25% off, so the X4 is only $149 + $69 for the billows.

My other choice is get a MEATER block (4 probes) which would be good for the meat and continue using my stoker for the pit. Cost more, but wifi meat probes look the shizzle. Even a single would be what I use most of the time, but not sure about distance. The MEATERs do have logging, so that might be attractive to you Dan.

I think either the X4 setup or the MEATER+ or MEATER block will be best bought on Black Friday.
Screenshot_20211102-215304_Chrome.jpg

For my Primo Kamato I have had excellent experience with Flame Boss. I purchased the TW Smoke a while back and the interface was terrible. TW seemed to not be interested with suggestions and issues. I was a big fan of TW but try to avoid their products now.

For my Primo Kamato I have had excellent experience with Flame Boss. I purchased the TW Smoke a while back and the interface was terrible. TW seemed to not be interested with suggestions and issues. I was a big fan of TW but try to avoid their products now.
I'm curios which interface was terrible? The wifi bridge?

I just have a basic smoke with a handheld remote

I've got the signals. It worked great and then I guess there were some firmware updates or what not and the last time I used it, it kept dropping off my wi-fi suddenly. That could be something that's not the Signal's fault. I would think the Smoke x4 would be more bulletproof.

Back