Aubers Temperature Controller for Charcoal Smoker

Yes you are right about the water. Water is used as a heat sink, the boiling point of water is 212 so it does a great job of keeping the temps down but it also uses energy to keep the water warm. I actually use a clay base in mine with the auber, it acts as a heat sink but it can get above 212, its a little insurance in case you get some temperature swings. I usually run 250 degrees for brisket and butts and 275 degrees for ribs and chicken. It has no trouble controlling temperatures at those levels with the clay base.

I would recommend attaching the fan to the base of the wsm before you light your charcoal as the base will get hot. I fill the ring with charcoal and start the MM and put the smoker together. I place the temperature probe on the top grate and connect it to the controller, the fan is not connected yet. I leave all the vents open and I monitor the temperature with the controller, once my temperature gets to within 15 degrees of my target I put the meat on and hook up the fan to the Auber control unit. The cold meat will drop the temp a bit but with the fan on the temperature will climb right back up and settle down to what ever temperature you have set on the controller.

I'm sure other use different methods, just my 2 cents.

Good Luck!

My experience is that once you turn over control to the Auber, let it do everything from there on out. So, if the temp is way off (too hot or cool) you probably should deal with that before you give control to the Auber.

My general experience is to put 1/2 chimney of lit charcoal on a full ring of unlit, let it get started with fully open vents for 20 minutes of so, then close everything down and let the Auber take over. I usually am striving for 225* and this works well for me. YMMV.

James

Ok, so I have used the Auber several times this summer, for everything from brisket to ribs to butts. It really does a great job, but some things I have learned:

1) I tried auto-tuning it, but after a few smokes reset it to the defaults. It just seemed to do some weird things after auto-tuning. I had some over-temps that lasted a long time.

2) Get the temp close to your target before turning on the Auber. Set up a Minion with a full ring of K and start 1/2 chimney and pour that on. Open the vents and monitor grill temp with another thermo until close to your target, then put the meat on. THEN let the Auber run things.

3) If you have to manually adjust (things get too cool or too hot) turn off the Auber and bring it back to control when things are under control.

Usually the Auber get control of everything and you are fine, once it gets close to the target temp.

James

James, I think the key is to autotune it like you use it. I do a similar thing where I get it up to temp some before starting it up. I waited until it had locked on to a temp before I autotuned. It seems like it does a really good job of holding on to a set temp, but doesn't do well at start up. Its like you can have it work well at a set temp OR handle big changes BUT can't do both.

I also find I get better control with my door sealed up

Nickel City,

That makes sense about tuning it how you use it. I believe when I did the auto-tune I filled the ring with unlit, put 1/2 chimney lit on it, hooked up everything and started the auto-tune. It probably had to bring the heat up, which I normally don't make it do now.

I'd auto-tune again, but I seem to get pretty good results with the default settings.

After a lot of reading and a discussion with Richard Diaz I decided to give the Auber a try. That became my birthday present in September. I've had occasional buyers remorse because we spent the money on my toy.

Yesterday I finally used it for a spare rib cook. I planned to cook at 260° and use the info I had picked up in this thread. I started with an almost full charcoal ring, 20 lit Stubbs briquettes, and a foiled clay saucer. I was trying the Auger and the Stubbs. I got the temp up to 220 in the lid and turned on the Auber. The temp did overshoot to 273° but came back and the rest of the cook was pretty smooth. Removing the lid to foil the ribs caused an excursion to 282° but I closed the top vent to 66% open, disconnected the fan, and within 15 minutes the temp was under control. I plugged the fan in and cruised to the finish line. I planned on 4 hours for the cook and it took 4 hrs. This thing works.

The ribs were just the way my family, read SWMBO and daughter, likes them. I'll eat ribs any way - any time.
wsmsmile8gm.gif

I plan to use the Auber enough to really understand it but I will also do manual cooks to stay ready for the next hurricane power outage.
icon_smile.gif
On the 12th I'll be doing a Boston Butt and using the Auber again. That cook should take about 12 hrs. and give the Auber a good workout.

I think I'm almost over buyers remorse.
Richard, thanks for your help.

Lew, I had a little buyer's remorse with my Auber at first, but after my first smoke where I could sleep overnight (with occasionally checking the temp on my Maverick) and got rock solid 225 I was sold. I also frequently put on SLC ribs around 10am, set the Auber at 225 and go work around the house, go out for lunch, maybe go watch a football game at a local pub. I come home and it's sitting rock solid at 225.

I also get a slight overshoot. I fill the charcoal ring (22.5" WSM) take out 1/2 chimney, start it, put it back when lit. I try to get the temp fairly close to the cook temp using vents, then start the Auber (close bottom vents). I find the Auber starts to lose the temp at first, but within 30 minutes or so gets it going up again. Then, it tends to overshoot by 10-20 degrees, then gradually settles back down to the target temp. Once it has gone through this cycle, it seems to stay right around the target for the remainder of the smoke.

My BBQ friends who use a cheap UDS say I am cheating, because I basically have an "oven"
icon_smile.gif

Lew, I'm happy that everything turned out well for you and that you are happy with Auber. You will really appreciate it when you do that first boston butt and brisket. The Auber is great on short cooks like ribs but it really pays itself off when your doing a 15 hour cook and all you have to do is add some chunks of wood from time to time and tap the legs of the wsm to knock off some of th ash. If you need any help please ask.

Originally posted by Lew Newby:
I plan to use the Auber enough to really understand it but I will also do manual cooks to stay ready for the next hurricane power outage.
icon_smile.gif
Lew, You can use a portable power supply like a Black and Decker, for around $100.00. Or if your comfortable soldering, you can put together a portable 12 volt DC source for less than $20.00.
I picked up these parts from "Radio Shack".
Two, 4 D Cell Battery Holders.
One, Pack Size "M" plugs
I had the Speaker wire and Heat-Shrink Tubing, so mine cost about 8 buck to build.( + the cost of the batteries)
Wire the holders in series add the plug, secure everything (I used Velcro and Gorilla tape) and your good to go.
DSCN3583.JPG

DSCN3582.JPG

This setup works for me at home as well as at Comps.

I'm interested in getting an ATC and was curious where or what do you do with the temperature probe cable? Do you run it on the inside, drill a hole in the side of the WSM, just set the lid on it?

I'm interested in getting an ATC and was curious where or what do you do with the temperature probe cable? Do you run it on the inside, drill a hole in the side of the WSM, just set the lid on it?

I bought this probe. I drilled a hole in the lid and have it fixed in place by the nut.

Where at on the lid, near the base of it?

no, its positioned at the same spot as the therm on the newer models.

If its going to be fixed, it has to be at a spot were it won't touch the meat.

Its one of those things where you won't know your precise grate temp, but with practice, you'll know what temps get you what. After using it overnight at a few comps, I know a few temps and times that work.

I just run the probe wires straight to the grill/meat and put the lid on them. I haven't had any problems with air leakage or damage to the wires.

I've had my Auber ATC for several months now and have had good success keeping the temp steady at both low and high temp cooking jobs. I drilled a hole in the side between the two grates and run the probe in there. I coated the hole with pore 13 paint and put a bushing and nut on to finish it off.
I have found that on some high temp cooks, like turkey, I've had to add charcoal after a hour or so. Seems the forced air is burning the charcoal at a faster rate. Anyone else have this experience?
Ron Foster
Wilmington NC

Originally posted by R Foster:
I've had my Auber ATC for several months now and have had good success keeping the temp steady at both low and high temp cooking jobs. I drilled a hole in the side between the two grates and run the probe in there. I coated the hole with pore 13 paint and put a bushing and nut on to finish it off.
I have found that on some high temp cooks, like turkey, I've had to add charcoal after a hour or so. Seems the forced air is burning the charcoal at a faster rate. Anyone else have this experience?
Ron Foster
Wilmington NC

R Foster, when getting the the temperature up on the WSM let it get to its temperature on its own. Open up all the vents and let her get to within 15 degrees of your target. Once within 15 degrees hook up the fan, close down two of the bottom vents and begin to play with the lid vent and hook up the auber. I usually go 1/2 open. I find that I will get to target temperature in the same amount of time with our without the auber hooked but I do go thru more K when I hooked it up. Since I figured this out I have gong thru 16 hours cooks on one ring easily.

Originally posted by Richard Diaz:

R Foster, when getting the the temperature up on the WSM let it get to its temperature on its own. Open up all the vents and let her get to within 15 degrees of your target. Once within 15 degrees hook up the fan, close down two of the bottom vents and begin to play with the lid vent and hook up the auber. I usually go 1/2 open.

Richard, where do you have the probe connected?

I'd have to check but I believe its the one the left. I know when I first stared to use it I had them plugges in backwards. I will get back with you.

Originally posted by Richard Diaz:
I'd have to check but I believe its the one the left. I know when I first stared to use it I had them plugges in backwards. I will get back with you.

HAHA... the one on the left... No I meant more like...

Originally posted by Vance:
where or what do you do with the temperature probe cable? Do you run it on the inside, drill a hole in the side of the WSM, just set the lid on it?

Back