Auber + WSM 18.5 = no bueno

Travis Smith

I've tried a few cooks with an Auber with the larger blower, and never had what I'd call a "good cook."

My most recent was a butt I started about midnight last night. Started it up using Minion Method and a full ring of charcoal, set the ATC to 235, and put the meat on. Within an hour, temperature had spiked to 330, and held above 300 until 3am. Temperature gradually came down, but charcoal was completely depleted by 11am, so I'm finishing the butt in the oven.

So, maybe I'm doing something wrong, but I'm not seeing much to indicate that the Auber is worth the time and effort. I'm open to any suggestions.

I know that's disappointing for you. I know a lot of folks love them but I was also disappointd in the ATC I had (different brand) so I sold it and go 'naturally aspirated' now ...and never looked back. I've done many cooks vents only, to include overnighters, with excellent results.

Not enough info to figure out what might have gone wrong. I use Aubers and have no problems.. Sounds like you may not have gotten the temp settled to begin with, too much lit charcoal to start, or a leaking cooker. You also don't need the bigger fan unless you are doing high heat. That may have been it. I only use my larger fan if I want to cook above 300 degrees. The small one is pleanty up to 300. To cook at that temp, I wouldn't use more than 10-12 lit briquettes to start it.

Check and make sure the cooker is tight, and if you can swing it, grab a smaller fan, especially for an 18.

I'll use 2 of the 22's at comps to cook the butts and briskets overnight, set to 275 and sleep while they cook. I'm that confident on the Auber. Set the low and high alarms 10 degrees either side of your target temp, but really, you should never hear them.

The only time I get a temp spike is if I am messing with the meat, wrapping or temping. I have learned to shut it down totally, all vents and controller (just pull the fan cord from the controller) for a minute or so before opening the lid and try not to have the lid off for any longer than necessary. Have a table or something handy to put the grate on so you can get the lid on quickly.

Last edited:
Thanks for the input, it's genuinely appreciated.

I don't really know how to gauge how "tight" the cooker is, so I'll leave that alone for now. I started the cooker with 12-15 lit briquettes, and you're right - I didn't let the temperature settle. I threw the lit briquettes in, threw the meat on, closed it up and turned the controller on. I'm guessing that may not be the best way to do it? Maybe there's a tutorial somewhere on the correct way to use this thing?

Also, if you've got any tips on how to make a used cooker tighter, I'll give it a shot. It's in good shape, so I wouldn't say I'd call it leaky.

If you're not getting smoke leaking out the door or lid, it isn't leaking.

12-15 is good. My method uses same number, open all vents, then watch and try to start shutting it down slowly before the target temp is reached. At about 20 degrees short of target, I shut all lower vents and leave top vent fully open. Auber should take over.

I tend to think it was the big fan. Cook some without it and you will get onto the vent adjustments.

I do get some smoke leaking out around the lid - but none from the door.

Last night I dumped the hot coals in, closed the bottom vents, and flipped the Auber on. This is when it immediately shot to 350 and stayed over 300 for an extended period of time. Maybe it is the big fan - it might have got it burning so hot from the start that it took forever to cool down.

I've cooked for 4-5 years without the ATC, and usually do pretty well in hitting my temps. I'm more into smoking brisket now, and would really like to use the ATC to control temps closely. Last night was very much a practice run with something much more forgiving (pork butt) to make sure it's working correctly before I try with brisket. Unfortunately, I'm less confident now.

Next time I'll try to get my temps very close to where I want them before switching on the ATC - then turn it on and see how it does. If that doesn't work, I guess I'll think about buying the smaller blower.

Quick update: I contacted Auber customer service, and they passed along some helpful tips. I'm going to give them a shot this weekend, I think, and I'll pass along the info. If it works, maybe I'll write up a quick summary of "how to get started" regarding smoker setup and procedure. There doesn't seem to be one here, at least that I could find.

Back