AUBER CONTROLLER FOR WSM

Tried my Auber for the first time on Friday with baby backs. Had an initial problem with the temp probe being off in reading. Was reading 6 degrees too high. Customer service helped me through changing the probe temp setting in the controller. Good guy, a little hard to understand.

Cooking at 235 at grate, top vent 25-50% open. Doing fine until the lid came off to foil then the temp went up and I couldn't get it back down. Ribs came out great for eating, but not comp wise. From now on, it's water in the pan for low temp ribs. I actually put water in with ice cubes to try and get temp down.

I think one problem may have been getting the fan sealed tight with the foil tape. They don't send much. I bought a roll off Amazon so should be able to cure this problem.

The Auber worked well enough that I am thinking about ordering the 25 cfm fan for my offset just to try it. May give the controller fits if it is tuned to the wsm but will see.

I have had nothing but great results with my Auber unit. I bought it this year for competitive BBQ for a slightly used 22 WSM. I use a clay saucer and keep the top vent open 100% and run at 250F. We typically cook the brisket in the 22, then we sometimes do the ribs in it while the brisket is resting. I use Kingsford Blue and fill the ring with about 6 tennis ball sized chunks of smoke wood and the full ring will last at least 14 hours in moderate or better weather, I can get it to go about 16 hours if we only cook one brisket and then the burnt ends. The only issue I have had to deal with is the fan unit started getting noisy, but a quick email to Auber had me a solution to adjust the screws that hold the fan to the sheet metal assembly. The temp probe end pulled out of the small probe cap, but Type K thermocouple has no problems as is without the cap piece (just the twisted wire ends exposed to the pit heat).

I own a BBQ Guru Digi Q and it has more bells and whistles and a food probe, but the Auber is something I would buy again for another cooker. We got a 1st, a 3rd, a 6th place walk in brisket while using the Aurber so no complaints.

Which fan are you using on the 22? I need to order one for a new 22 and trying to decide whether to get the bigger fan just in case I might want to do hot and fast, but I don't most of the time.

J Hoke I would go with the bigger fan. I have an Auber with my 22 but got the smaller fan. Sometimes it seems the temps swing a bit because the smaller fan can't change temp fast enough. It does seem to eventually figure it out and keep things stable, but I highly doubt you could do a high-heat cook with this.

Thanks. I went ahead and got the smaller one, but can always get the big one if needed. I suppose since I have one for each smoker, I could put 2 on the 22 and see what happens.

Just checked out the Auber site and they're having their Thanksgiving sale 10% off smoker controllers, sale ends 11/22.

Back