Atypical Intro from NC

Jem Scott

TVWBB Member
WARNING: A SENSE OF HUMOR IS REQUIRED FOR FURTHER READING ENJOYMENT!

I have several passions. Cooking is in the top 3, but not necessarily #1. Why would it be? Life should be about passion. Photography is my favorite hobby, cooking a close second but exchanging bodily fluids trumps all. I have been a charcoal grill cook since a teenager, have work in several commercial kitchens/restaurants. At home, I had never owned a gas grill until I met my last partner about 4 years ago. I thought, damn, this is what all the buzz is about.... instant heat. Hank Hill started making sense... taste the meat, not the heat. I rarely ate where I was a hired cook. Kinda like (something I can't quite remember), but it ends with 'on your own doorstep'.

I've been into dry rubs for the past couple of years with fair to great reviews from my guests.... and more importantly, myself. These were all done on the gas CharBroil grill. Having a smoker has been weighing heavy on my mind the past year though.

Soooo, anyway, I fired up my brand new out of the box 18.5" WSM this past weekend. Three racks of ribs and two chickens halved. I followed a rub recipe found on this site for the ribs and used it on the chooks as well. The ribs cooked for four hours, but I think another couple of hours mayI have made them more fall-off-the-bone. They just weren't quite as tender as I was expecting, but with a great smoke ring. The chicken halves went for about three hours and were delicious. Neither had a mopping sauce. Would that have mad a difference?

So, back to me. The few introductions I've read didn't include any self portraits. Allow me to differentiate. Don't confuse these with the latest trends of 'selfies' by the likes of Weiner and Geraldo.

New%20Stingy%20Lid-1%20BW-XL.jpg

I also like to hike and bike.....
Sams%20Photos-206-Edit-XL.jpg

Hard%20Ride%20I-11-XL.jpg

But, I also like my lids.....
Low%20Key%20SP-1-XL.jpg

Have%20a%20Cigar-97-XL.jpg

New%20Clothes-24-XL.jpg

Split%20Lighting-two%20lights-XL.jpg

Last edited:
Sometimes I don't.....
SP%20with%2047octabox%20background-1-XL.jpg

B%26W%20self-XL.jpg

SP%20with%20New%20Background-2%20BW-XL.jpg

Self%20Portrait%20Suit%20Red%20Tie-6-XL.jpg

Narcissism runs in my veins.

But I also have a cat.....

Gabby-2-XL.jpg

..... and a wonderful partner......

Me%20and%20Sam-16%20LS-XL.jpg

Sandra-8-XL.jpg

My food photography has been limited thus far, mostly in the realm in the photography discussions of RAW versus JPEG. Not a particularly pretty picture.

Here's the RAW format version. Choices abound.
RAW%20Steaks%20800-XL.jpg

JPEG on the other hand has limited choices.
Cooked%20Steaks%20800-XL.jpg

Last edited:
But here is my first gas grill and my kitchen knives.

I%20Got%20Gas-XL.jpg

Knives-web-XL.jpg

So here's to you for a hopefully great cooking experience.

New%20Stingy%20Lid-2-XL.jpg

Thanks for looking and having a laugh.

Welcome neighbor! Nice cat and try not to be so serious. I mean,really,this is a fun place and you should try to loosen up! Just kidding! I think your gonna fit in nicely!

Welcome to another North Carolinian. Looking forward to seeing more of your food pictures.
Nice "intro".

Ray

Great to have you in our group. We will have very high expectations of your food pics after seeing your portfolio.

Thanks for the warm welcome folks, much appreciated.

As a side note on my first smoke with the ribs, I used the No. 5 sauce recipe with the heat up of the leftovers. Hawt Damn! Made all the difference in the world.

Tomorrow, it's an order of wings on the WSM. I didn't make it out to the Farmers Market this weekend for my pork butt (Nahunta out of eastern NC). Tonight it's grilled flounder with onions, garlic, dill and parsley foiled with lemon rice and some green, probably steamed broccoli.

Photography, smoking/grilling/barbecuing, biking, hiking, and spent 9 months living in Raleigh (1967-68)....we have some stuff in common!:cool:

Welcome to the "greatest smoke on Earth"!

I wanted to ask the membership if it would be out of order to include some of my photos in this thread, that have nothing to do with food, grilling or BBQ'g, but spotlight some of the photos I've taken over the past few years? Although I've kinda consentrated on portrait, particularly with the accent on lighting, I do have a pretty varied portfolio. I think, I read in the early stages of signing up that off topic banter was discouraged on this forum, but I can't help but think that some deviation could be tolerated as long as it was pertinent to the conversation. I love to share some of my work and I love to connect dots in an irreverent manner.

Let's take Mike's last reply for instance.....
Photography, smoking/grilling/barbecuing, biking, hiking, and spent 9 months living in Raleigh (1967-68)....we have some stuff in common!:cool:

Welcome to the "greatest smoke on Earth"![/QUOTE]

I might add a counterpoint such as this just to stir the pot (all puns intended).....

Peace%20Pipe-XL.jpg

If somebody were to reply with a comment about a new recipe and say they're jumping into the deep end, I might reply with.....

Jumper%203-XL.jpg

If someone were to say something about cracking an egg into a recipe, I might reply with.....

Egg-cedrin%20web-XL.jpg

Of course, omlettes take more than one egg.....

Egg-slaughter%20web-XL.jpg

Talk about steaks, Texas, New York and KC City might be famous for them, but Durham has made a mark also.....

bull****-XL.jpg

Anyway, just curious how the members here are with a sense of humor. Thanks for your indulgence.

Back