ATTENTION SHRIMP LOVERS

Joan

TVWBB Hall of Fame
As posted on the .......and today is ......thread, today is National Shrimp Scampi Day and as usual, I have so many shrimp scampi recipes, it's hard to pick one, but, here are a few that have caught my eye. lol

Old Bay Shrimp Scamp

1/3 cup oil
4 cloves garlic, minced
1 lb. shrimp, peeled and deveined
1 1/2 tsp. Old Bay Seasoning
1 tsp. parsley flakes
1 TB. lemon juice

1. Heat oil in large skillet, add garlic; saute 1 minute or until tender. Add shrimp and Old Bay; saute 3 to 5 minutes or until shrimp turns pink.
2. Stir in parsley flakes and lemon juice. Serve over cooked pasta or rice. Makes 4 servings

and then there is this one........

Orange Scampi

3 cloves garlic
2 tsp. oil
1/8 tsp. salt
1/8 tsp. white pepper
2 lbs. medium fresh shrimp, peeled and deveined
2/3 cup unsweetened orange juice
2 TB. lemon juice
1 TB. plus 1 tsp. chopped fresh chives
2 tsp. cornstarch

1. Saute garlic in oil in a large skillet until tender; stir in salt and pepper. Add shrimp; cook over medium heat 3 to 5 minutes, stirring occasionally. Drain off liquid and discard.
2. Combine juices, chives and cornstarch in a small saucepan, stirring well. Bring mixture to a boil; cook 1 minute, stirring constantly. Add orange sauce to shrimp, stirring well. Yield: 4 servings

Source: Southern Living mag. 12/85

an Italian classic version. use pasta water to thicken your sauce, not CORNSTARCH.

Shrimp Scampi​

Author: Steve Cusato | Not Another Cooking Show

INGREDIENTS​

• 1/2 lb of Felicetti Rigati
  • 1 Lb of Large Fresh Shrimp, (16-20 per lb)
  • 3 Large Cloves of Garlic, Sliced Thin
  • 4 Tablespoons of Unsalted Butter
  • 1 Cup of Dry White Wine
  • Olive Oil
  • 1/4 Cup of Parsley, finely chopped
  • 2 Teaspoons of Chili Flake
  • 1/2 a Lemon

INSTRUCTIONS​

1. Peel and de-vain the shrimp and save any shells or tails you peeled. If your shrimp doesn’t have the shells on, you can just use the tail.
  2. Take the shrimp and slice it into 3 smaller pieces, one cut in half to separate the narrower end of the shrimp. Then stand up the thicker end, and slice that down the middle to give you about 3 equal-sized pieces.
  3. Slice the garlic thin and finely dice the parsley.
  4. Get a pot of salted water boiling, a pot not too big relative to the pasta. We want a low enough level of water to concentrate the starches that release into the water, so if using a large pot, don’t feel like you need to fill the entire pot up with water.
  5. In a large saute pan, add a tablespoon or two of olive oil to the pan and get it hot on medium-high heat. Once hot, add the shrimp shells and toast them for a few minutes to pull out that shrimp flavor. Then add the wine and lower the heat to a simmer, we don’t want the wine to reduce too much, just to infuse with the shrimp shell flavor. After about 5 minutes of simmering, strain out the wine and set aside.
  6. Once the water is boiling add the pasta. The Rigati takes 12 minutes to make, so I let the pasta cook for the first 6 minutes and then make the sauce in the final 6 minutes. After 5 minutes, I get the heat on medium-high heat and add a knob of butter and a tablespoon of olive oil. Once hot, add the garlic and chili flake and cook for about 2-3 minutes and then add the shrimp-infused wine you made earlier the lemon juice, and bring it to a simmer.
  7. Now there should be about 3 minutes left of cooking, add the shrimp and gently simmer and poach the shrimp on medium-low heat, stirring it every now and then. Two minutes before the pasta is perfectly cooked, use a Spyder and fish out the pasta, and transfer to the sauce. Now you can kick up the heat to high, add a tablespoon or two of pasta water at a time and as needed, tossing and stirring the pasta and to try and thicken the sauce. Pasta will absorb some of the sauce, and the starch in the pasta, and the heat will gradually reduce and thicken the sauce. Once that pasta is al dente, sprinkle in a handful of the diced parsley and start to slowly toss and stir in cold butter. This will also aid in thickening the sauce. Add the butter in batches, slowly working it into the sauce and then once the sauce is thick but still flowing, kill the heat and serve. As the sauce cools, it will continue to thicken. Taste and adjust the seasoning.

Oh darn, I had to go and read THIS one.

Scampi Fra Diavolo

3 TB. butter, divided
1/3 cup panko (Japanese breadcrumbs)
1/2 cup chopped fresh Italian parsley, divided
1 1/4 lbs. uncooked large shrimp, peeled, deveined, tails left intact
2 TB. EVOO
1 1/2 cups thinly sliced red onion
5 garlic cloves, minced
1/2 tsp. dried crushed red pepper
2/3 cup dry white wine
Lemon wedges

1. Melt 1 TB. butter in large nonstick skillet over medium-high heat. Add panko and stir until golden and crisp, about 2 minutes. Transfer to small bowl; mix in 2 TB. parsley. Wipe out skillet.
2. Sprinkle shrimp with salt and pepper. Melt remaining 2 TB. butter with olive oil in same skillet over high heat. Add red onion and saute until beginning to soften, about 3 minutes. Stir in garlic and crushed red pepper and saute 1 minute. Add shrimp and sauce until barely opaque in center, about 1 minute per side. Add white wine and simmer until liquid is slightly thickened and reduced, 2 to 3 minutes. Stir in remaining 6 TB. parsley. Transfer to shallow bowl. Sprinkle sauteed panko over and serve with lemon wedges. Serves 4.

Source: Bon Appetit mag. Nov. 2008

One more, after all, this is the Weber site, gotta have a grill recipe. lol (same ingredients, just a little bit different)

Scampi Alla Griglia

2 lbs. large shrimp in the shell, deveined
1/4 lb. unsalted butter, melted
1/2 cup olive oil
1 TB. minced shallots or green onion
3 large cloves garlic
1 tsp. salt
2 TB. fresh lemon juice
1/4 cup minced parsley
salt and freshly ground pepper
Parsley sprigs

Wash shrimp in cold water and dry well. Pour butter and olive oil into a 3 qt. shallow bowl. Add shallots. Coarsely chop garlic with salt on a cutting board. (this helps eliminate the strong garlic taste, if you want to) Add garlic-salt mixture to bowl. Roll shrimp in this mixture until well coated. Sprinkle with lemon juice and parsley. MARINATE at least 30 minutes, turning shrimp several times. Remove shrimp from bowl. Put marinade in a small saucepan and place on the side of the grill. Grill shrimp over coals until they turn pink. Sprinkle shrimp with salt and pepper and serve them in individual scallop shells. Spoon heated marinade over them and garnish with parsley sprigs. Makes 4 to 6 servings.

Source: Barbecue & Smoke Cookery-Maggie Waldron-1988

Those all look good, where were you with all those ideas during LENT?
the only thing I see in the 1st one is the 1/3 c of oil, seems like one heck of a lot to me but, that’s easily enough tweaked.

Those all look good, where were you with all those ideas during LENT?
the only thing I see in the 1st one is the 1/3 c of oil, seems like one heck of a lot to me but, that’s easily enough tweaked.
Hi, I like the idea of a lot of evoo, to me that is the best part of a scampi recipe. All that garlic and oil on angel hair pasta. My favorite part of the recipe. oh, and the shrimp of coarse. lol

Did you see my message to you on the "True Grit" thread?

Hi, I like the idea of a lot of evoo, to me that is the best part of a scampi recipe. All that garlic and oil on angel hair pasta. My favorite part of the recipe. oh, and the shrimp of coarse. lol

Not yet

Well, there was not that much oil in tonight's dinner. The Old Bay spices seemed to suck up much of the oil. DH said he had to add even more oil. I also forgot that the spices had a little bit of a hot touch to them, but I ate all the shrimp anyway. lol

As posted on the .......and today is ......thread, today is National Shrimp Scampi Day and as usual, I have so many shrimp scampi recipes, it's hard to pick one, but, here are a few that have caught my eye. lol

Old Bay Shrimp Scamp

1/3 cup oil
4 cloves garlic, minced
1 lb. shrimp, peeled and deveined
1 1/2 tsp. Old Bay Seasoning
1 tsp. parsley flakes
1 TB. lemon juice

1. Heat oil in large skillet, add garlic; saute 1 minute or until tender. Add shrimp and Old Bay; saute 3 to 5 minutes or until shrimp turns pink.
2. Stir in parsley flakes and lemon juice. Serve over cooked pasta or rice. Makes 4 servings
Well, sorry to say ......and today is .......thread has been removed, but glad this recipe is still here. Tonight's dinner. :giggle:

Back