Ash Issues in 22.5 WSM

GSmith

I did my first cook today in my 22.5 WSM. I just made a couple racks of baby backs for a test. Here's the rundown:

I put a full chimney of unlit briquettes in the charcoal ring with 3 apple wood chunks.
I lit a half chimney of briquettes and dumped them over the unlit.
Poured 1 gallon of hot water into the pan.
Waited about 45 minutes to get the smoker up to 250.
Put the meat on, and the temp dropped to about 118.
Top vent was wide open. I tried keeping the bottom vents shut, but the temp would drop if I did that. I tweaked them, and for most of the cook, all the bottom vents were between 1/3 and 1/2 open. The temp was between 230 and 250 the whole time.

I hadn't removed the lid for the whole cook. When I went to check the ribs at the 5 hour mark, I removed the lid and noticed just a little ask floating around. I could see the slightest bit on the rack, and a little around the edge. Didn't see any visible ash on the meat, but I'm assuming a little got on there. Most of the charcoal is totally spent, and there did seem to be quite a bit of ash in the bottom of the cooker, although I've never used a WSM before, so I don't have anything to compare it to.

Has anyone had this issue with a WSM, specifically the 22.5? Any ideas as to what might have caused it, based on my methods? I want to get this figured out before I cook for other people.

You are going to get a little ash floating around if you lift the lid straight up. It act's like a vacuum.
Next time crack the lid and move it to the side like a hinge.

Tim

I'll definitely try that with the lid from now on. But as soon as I lifted the lid, I saw some ash already on the rack, so I feel like it floated up there before I moved the lid. Could the bottom vents cause that?

I've never had that issue. Can you take pics of your exact set up so we can see what you see? It may be something very simple.

But as soon as I lifted the lid said:
What brand of briquets are you using? Some have more fly away ash when any amount of breeze hits the bottom vents. More noticeable on a brand new smoker with shiny grates compared to one that has a fair amount of cooks on it.
I wouldn't worry about it tat tall:wsm:

Tim

Back