AS DEER SEASON APPROACHES...

Sal DeTraglia

TVWBB Member
Hi all:

Deer season is approaching. My brother will again be heading to upper Michigan and if history is an indication, he'll be bringing another buck or doe back to Illinois.

The only difference this year is...he now has a WSM. So here is my (sorry, our) question/s:

- Are there specific cuts of deer that do especially well in a smoker?

- And if so, any tips/pitfalls to keep in mind? Yes, I read Mark's earlier thread on Whitetail hind and it seems that dryness is a concern (with the hind, at least).

Thanks.

Sal (in Spain)

PS: Hey! I love brisket, pork and ribs as much as the next guy. But IMOHO, this "Other meats" section is the most interesting hunk of the discusssion board.

Venison is a fairly lean meat that does better at higher temps. There's just not enough fat on most deer to keep the meat moist.

Sal

I live near South Alabama where I hunt. Deer have overpopulated the area and I take 8 to 10 doe per seaon and hopefully a nice buck or 2.

As stated, venison is a low fat meat. For the WSM, I would recommend the hindquarter. Our doe average 90 to 100 lbs and I take the hindquarter off at the ball joint and leave the bone in. I marinade for 48 hrs in Moore's seasong in the frig. Then I rub it down with oil and season with Montreal steak seasoning. You can either go with a foiled lined empty pan for higher heat or water in the pan for low/slow in the WSM. My preference is the low/slow because I believe it allows a longer period for smoke absorption and also may actually brake down some of the tougher tissue components in the wild meat. It can come out too dry, but, imo, that's the fault of the cook. With such a low fat content, it overcooks easily. KEY - don't let the meat temp get over 150. I pull mine around 145.

I have not had success cooking a shoulder roast in the WSM. It is more akin to a brisket, but without the fat. I use a dutch oven for that cut and add the trinity plus other veggies.

Here is a site that was referenced in a previous thread. I can't vouch for it but someone on the board has. Looks good to me.

HTH.

Paul

Back