Arizona classic Platinum

Jon Tofte

TVWBB 1-Star Olympian
Here is someone who knows what they have! $225 for an end-user seems pretty fair. He could have cleaned up the inside a little better, but it does look really sharp. I like that it has the smoker box, and, although it doesn't have a side burner, the clean, balanced look of those two stainless side tables is pretty nice to me.

https://offerup.com/item/detail/637017305/

CvZI8M0.jpg

UaJBYeh.jpg

Yah, that is a sharp grill. If it was bit dirtier and neglected, it might have been a good rehab candidate, but at $225, there won't be any profit.

No, only good for someone wanting one for themselves. I wonder if he will find someone like that.

Has anyone actually bought something from OfferUp and had it shipped?
They advertise totally ridiculous shipping rates. $5 to have that Platinum
shipped to KC? The highest I have ever seen listed is $30 What's the catch?
I don't believe this to be true. It costs me almost $90 to send a kettle in a
26x26x20 box to Virginia.

The listing prices are set by the seller and I believe the shipping prices are set by the sellers as well. But, like you, it does seem like they are typically very low compared to what it is actually going to cost to ship something. I would like to know what the "catch" is as well. In the mean time, I would only use it as a local pickup option.

I just did some research on the offerup site. It seems the shipping costs are based on weight of the item as listed. But, that still doesn't account for the very low shipping cost of a lot of items such as gas grill for $25 shipping.

I would think that offerup would have a lot of problems when someone purchases a grill or similar item and the seller realizes that they can't ship it for anywhere near what the shipping price is.

The whole selling/shipping policy sounds very convoluted and messy anyway. Like, I said, I would only use offerup for local pickup.
https://ask.offerup.com/Selling/1070717101/How-shipping-works-for-sellers.htm

Last edited:
From what I can see, and have experienced, if you list something on OfferUp they give you the option of shipping to buyers. It has little or no discriminating ability regarding what you list, so you keep seeing these grills with $30 shipping. The reality is that these sellers had no idea what they were doing when they set that up. Of course, there is absolutely no way to ship for that and those sellers have no intention of even trying. I have tried in the past to offer their price plus actual shipping (usually just for some parts) and have yet to get one to do it. I think the only thing I ever actually got with shipping on OfferUp was a cover.

Yup, here’s another platinum....from the looks of it really well worth the asking price...

https://www.facebook.com/marketplace/item/1107925456037975/

Wow, I wish I had money and room for a shot at that one (not to mention that it is over 3000 miles away:eek:)! I would make the knobs black and seek out another classic handle light to just give it the final touch. Those old Platinum grills are growing on me. Good thing they almost never pop up around here:).

Wow, I wish I had money and room for a shot at that one (not to mention that it is over 3000 miles away:eek:)! I would make the knobs black and seek out another classic handle light to just give it the final touch. Those old Platinum grills are growing on me. Good thing they almost never pop up around here:).

I could pick it up and meet you halfway Jon...you'd just have to talk to my wife and get it past her :cool:

I could pick it up and meet you halfway Jon...you'd just have to talk to my wife and get it past her :cool:

What a generous offer tell the wife your driving 1500 miles to deliver a grill to a buddy then he tells his wife he is driving 1500 miles to pick up a grill. Sounds like a plan if you don't want to be married anymore. :)

What a generous offer tell the wife your driving 1500 miles to deliver a grill to a buddy then he tells his wife he is driving 1500 miles to pick up a grill. Sounds like a plan if you don't want to be married anymore. :)

Yep, Brian, that pretty well sums it up;)! I have been trying to be a good boy and stick to my tax returns. And then when April finally gets here concentrate on finishing and selling what I have before getting much else. I am hoping that will help me stay married. A 1500 mile road trip could be fun, though. Could probably take a cargo van and come back with a ton of fun projects:eek:!

Haha yup, I'm not sure how I'd get past that and I don't even want to try.

- - - Updated - - -

Yep, Brian, that pretty well sums it up;)! I have been trying to be a good boy and stick to my tax returns. And then when April finally gets here concentrate on finishing and selling what I have before getting much else. I am hoping that will help me stay married. A 1500 mile road trip could be fun, though. Could probably take a cargo van and come back with a ton of fun projects:eek:!

Just think...American Pickers, the Weber Edition....

Back