ARGH ! Temps Out Of Control !

D Larsen

TVWBB Super Fan
This is why I got frustrated with my WSM...

Doing a split, bone-in turkey breast today...not quite like anything on Chris' tutorials....it's not boneless, and it's not a full breast....just a half bone-in breast...the wife bought it cause it "looked good"
icon_smile.gif

Turbo-brined yesterday; air-dry overnight; fired up the WSM with Rancher today, using Minion, the clay saucer and cherry wood...

The temps have climbed to 315-320 @ grate (Thermoworks/Polder probe; tested) before stabilizing...that's with bottom vents fully closed !

At this point, I have the second probe in the meat, and will pull at 160, but I don't know if it's an air infiltration issue, or too much fuel...only used enough Rancher to cover the grate....thought that would be enough....

My buddy borrowed my WSM, and I think he returned his crappy-fitting door rather than my snug one
icon_smile.gif

I have some work to do....just wanted to vent !!!!

Dean....

I like them higher too but is your middle seated into the bottom well, Dean? Since you Minioned--did the temps rise quickly or creep up?

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by craig castille:
I cook breasts at 310-350 anyway.

IMO, it's a better product than low and slow. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Thanks, Craig....it DOES look good....we'll see how it tastes
icon_smile.gif

Dean...

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by K Kruger:
I like them higher too but is your middle seated into the bottom well, Dean? Since you Minioned--did the temps rise quickly or creep up? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Kevin,

Thanks for the response ! I've learned a lot from you here, and I appreciate your "science" of cooking....I'm an engineer by training, so the stuff you contribute usually always makes sense to me
icon_smile.gif
I have several of your posts on my "To Do" list.....

The middle section (or maybe the charcoal section) may be slightly out of round...in order to seat it, I have to rotate it when I set it on the charcoal section until it "binds"....don't see any smoke coming out of the joint when I do that, though.

RE: the temps.....they came up slowly at first (I was happy !; Following the advice here, with the saucer, to catch it on the way up, rather than trying to bring it down; heating the saucer and the meat ?), but then the temp took off !

I was using cherry "chips", not chunks (Can't find chunks here)....put 1 pkg in foil, and added some soaked at the same time....maybe it was a "spike", but because it was a consistent climb, I don't think that's my problem...

Anyway....pulled it off the WSM ~ 163 per the Thermoworks....right now it's in foil, and it DOES look (and smell !) good ! I took a pix of it, but I'm still trying to figure out how to share photos <g>

Thanks again !

Dean...

You need to upload to a photosharing site like photobucket (and others) then nab a link from them. It gets pasted into the Image URL box (on the posting box you type in when posting a message; 2nd buttom from right).

No, if the climb was consistent it seems like more of an air intake issue. Provided you closed vents early enough, it should have stabilized not too long thereafter. I've never realy found the door to be an issue unless it is especially gappy. I purposely prop the door open in high heat cooks but other than that I don't find the door the thing--and my door is only bent to fit, no gasket or anything like that.

Out-of-round is an issue for me. Though it is hard to see on mine, if I don't use a foil gasket when I assemble I can't really control the climb.

Thanks for the kind words. I'm glad you like my posts. Now, figure out the pic posting thing as show us!
icon_smile.gif

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by K Kruger:
You need to upload to a photosharing site like photobucket (and others) then nab a link from them. It gets pasted into the Image URL box (on the posting box you type in when posting a message; 2nd buttom from right).

No, if the climb was consistent it seems like more of an air intake issue. Provided you closed vents early enough, it should have stabilized not too long thereafter. I've never realy found the door to be an issue unless it is especially gappy. I purposely prop the door open in high heat cooks but other than that I don't find the door the thing--and my door is only bent to fit, no gasket or anything like that.

Out-of-round is an issue for me. Though it is hard to see on mine, if I don't use a foil gasket when I assemble I can't really control the climb.

Thanks for the kind words. I'm glad you like my posts. Now, figure out the pic posting thing as show us!
icon_smile.gif
</div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Kevin,

I'm looking at Google's site for the photo sharing....stay tuned ! I'll figure this out, sooner or later.....Man, I used to think I was a "computer nerd" when I was working with Apple IIe's and Kaypro PC's
icon_smile.gif
Showing my age.....

The turk tasted great (I was worried about too much salty brine), and we had plenty of left-overs for sammies....always a good thing ! I had the bottom vents all closed before I ever added the hot stuff, so that's not the problem....

I really hope my problem doesn't require a foil ring every time I use the WSM...

Dean....

Now, figure out the pic posting thing as show us!
icon_smile.gif
</div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Okay, here goes !

Cooked Turkey

It tasted great....sliced easy, moist, and seemed nice and firm from the brining !

Dean...

Wonderful! Looks great too!

Btw, on the foil gasket thing. I do have to gasket every time. But one gasket works for 3 cooks, usually. You may not need to go there but if you do...

Wonderful! Looks great too!

Btw, on the foil gasket thing. I do have to gasket every time. But one gasket works for 3 cooks, usually. You may not need to go there but if you do... </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Thanks !!!

I posted my pics of my Gyro cook on your thread over there....would like your comment on what I did wrong when you get a chance
icon_confused.gif

Dean...

Nice looking turkey, Dean. Don't be afraid of higher temps for cooking poultry. A lot of us cook chicken and turkey at 325-375.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Bob Schwarz:
Nice looking turkey, Dean. Don't be afraid of higher temps for cooking poultry. A lot of us cook chicken and turkey at 325-375. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Thanks, Bob !

The more I read about poultry here, the more I realize that "higher" isn't a bad thing !

Dang...The wife ate the rest of the leftovers yesterday, so I can see these half-split breasts are too small for even the 2 of us
icon_smile.gif

Dean....

Back