Are you able to actually re-use the previous smokes charcoal for a new relight?

Ron Snarski

TVWBB Member
I used the smoker last night, I thought I read that people were using their previous charcoal to light the new ring in the WSM..
I dumped last nights charcoal into the lighting chimney and was able to relight it but it seems that it is barely lite.
Will this be enough to get it going again?

I was able to get it going, it is a lot slower but I didn't give up and she is getting up to temp.
Does anyone use the charcoal bag to lite the starter chimney? Worked very well, dense paper!

After it's been shut down a couple days I shake the charcoal ring, which is wired to the grate, so that the small stuff falls through and whatever is left I dump into a container to use later. The leftover coal works great in the chimney and for short cooks.

Ok to use for short cooks but seems to lack the oomph for going on the long ones. I always end up having to add more charcoal during my long cooks when I reuse charcoal. I use it also in my chimney starter.

I was able to get it going, it is a lot slower but I didn't give up and she is getting up to temp.
Does anyone use the charcoal bag to lite the starter chimney? Worked very well, dense paper!

The charcoal bags are great, makes you feel like you got your moneys worth;-)

I use lump charcoal exclusively. Used lump lights and burns just as well as new lump. I leave the used lump in the WSM, the kettle, and the CharQ and add new lump as needed.

I had no charcoal after my smoke last night... is that strange or what?
BTW the brisket was falling apart on the way from the smoker to the serving platter I used... I barely escaped with ten fingers ....
I see how the holidays will be...lol

After it's been shut down a couple days I shake the charcoal ring, which is wired to the grate, so that the small stuff falls through and whatever is left I dump into a container to use later. The leftover coal works great in the chimney and for short cooks.

Ditto. The leftover is my "hot dog and hamburger" charcoal.

....and if you buy a second charcaol grate and turn it 90 degrees to the original you save even more charcoal to re-use. I've done that for my kettle and WSM using my left overs mainly in the chimney and in my kettle. I save quite a bit by doing that.

Back