Are Weber Grills Worth the Money?

Jon, how are things going now that Uncle Sam has all their money???

Hey Bruce, I survived another one. :eek: More extensions than I would have liked, even with the two extra days and the third free one thrown in because of IRS computer processing delays. For now, I am just thankful to be getting some life back!

I started on my completely stuffed shed this past Saturday. It has to be a last in, first out operation, so first up was the 45 year old 18 inch kettle :blackkettle: I picked up for $10 in March. Got it cleaned up and mostly restored. Finishing the wood handle and then my artist friend is going to paint a Weber logo on it. When done I will post a set of pictures. It doesn’t look brand new but does look historically correct.

Try not to laugh, but this one is slated for display in my office at work. It is too cool to use right now. I printed out a 1973 Weber catalog to have laying inside it for my curious office visitors. I also made a “price tag” for it using the listing in the catalog. In those days, Weber used folksy names for each kettle and color. Mine was called the ‘49er. Maybe after a while the novelty will wear off and I will either sell or use it, but I don’t think so.

Next up is a Q220 or 2200 :weberq:, I don’t remember which. I am doing it at cost for a co-worker. Mostly cleaning, but the hood needs to be repainted. Got the grill and a stand for only $40. Bought a large tank adapter on Amazon for another $10. They wanted something portable, and I think they will really like it. My organization is paying for it as a special bonus, so they don’t even know yet.

I have almond “titanium” high heat paint to match the original, but I am toying with using red instead. What do you think?

I did one of my Q220's in red last year and it came out great. I wish I still had it. Hoping to find another one that I can rehab for personal use.

xdEXKlZ.jpg

That red is pretty spectacular! Did you completely remove the old paint? If so, how did you do it? I am guessing you used Rustoleum High Heat red, but you must have top coated with some kind of gloss. If you don’t mind sharing, I would be very interested in how you came out with such a mirror finish. Great job! It must have been hard to sell;)!

Yes, Rustoleum red high heat. It is a pretty flat color, but if you add a couple coats of the clear high heat, it comes out beautifully shiny. You can use any of their high heat colors, most of which are flat and then top coat with the clear.
The decision on how to deal with a lid that has imperfections is a bit of a preference. If the lid is in good shape, just clean it up very good and repaint over the old. If it is in bad shape, strip it all just like you would with the inside of a grill cook box with the angle grinder. You don't have to get it down to completely bare metal, but at least hit every spot. Then sand it lightly if there are ridges or imperfections. I think I use 220 grit. Then spray it. Keep in mind that you will lose the factory texture when you strip it. It will be smooth which is OK if it is all smooth. If there are small and few bad spots, I use a wire wheel or just sand paper to feather it in. I tried several paint thinners, oven cleaners and other stuff, but nothing really seems to work on the factory paint. Grinding and sanding was the only way I could get it off.

I sold three or four Q2xxx grills last year. The first couple I used the aluminum color Rustoleum High heat ultra and Copper High heat ultra. But, I got bored with those and wanted more color. People like more than the drab, neutral colors. So, I found the other Rustoleum paints and asked Rustoleum if putting a clear over them if it would make them gloss and they said yes. And they were not lying. I think I ordered them through Walmart.com for about $7 per can. I will probably get another clear can and one or two other cool colors.

Here is one my Q2xx grills that I did with the Copper Ultra High Heat. It is great, but not flashy and more of a semi-gloss. I suppose you could put some clear over that as well for a more glossy finish. Regardless, it is still better than the plain jane almond color that most come in.

HVb3mEz.jpg

Last edited:
Yes, Rustoleum red high heat. It is a pretty flat color, but if you add a couple coats of the clear high heat, it comes out beautifully shiny. You can use any of their high heat colors, most of which are flat and then top coat with the clear.
The decision on how to deal with a lid that has imperfections is a bit of a preference. If the lid is in good shape, just clean it up very good and repaint over the old. If it is in bad shape, strip it all just like you would with the inside of a grill cook box with the angle grinder. You don't have to get it down to completely bare metal, but at least hit every spot. Then sand it lightly if there are ridges or imperfections. I think I use 220 grit. Then spray it. Keep in mind that you will lose the factory texture when you strip it. It will be smooth which is OK if it is all smooth. If there are small and few bad spots, I use a wire wheel or just sand paper to feather it in. I tried several paint thinners, oven cleaners and other stuff, but nothing really seems to work on the factory paint. Grinding and sanding was the only way I could get it off.

I sold three or four Q2xxx grills last year. The first couple I used the aluminum color Rustoleum High heat ultra and Copper High heat ultra. But, I got bored with those and wanted more color. People like more than the drab, neutral colors. So, I found the other Rustoleum paints and asked Rustoleum if putting a clear over them if it would make them gloss and they said yes. And they were not lying. I think I ordered them through Walmart.com for about $7 per can. I will probably get another clear can and one or two other cool colors.

Bruce,

Thanks so much for the helpful advice. After reading, I think I am going to go more ambitious with the Q restore and change the hood to red:cool:. I am hoping the factory textured finish can be saved, but I pretty much just grabbed the grill and stashed it in my overflowing shed waiting to escape from tax season, so I am not sure yet. Now that I am pretty much free, it is time to get on it! I am going to follow your suggestions toward making my red look at least semi-glossy. I will keep you posted.

In the meantime, I updated my thread about the antique 18-inch kettle I picked up for $10. I am putting a link here in case you and any others reading this don't usually venture over to the kettle section;). Restoring kettles is a different animal, and I certainly have even less experience with it than with gas grills. Even so, I am really happy with my cool old kettle that I think came out pretty nice for 45 years old! Here is a link:

https://tvwbb.com/showthread.php?73363-Picked-Up-A-Cool-Old-18in-Black-Kettle&p=811009#post811009

Jon

Last edited:
I had a Vermont casting 8 burner gas grill for 15 years. The cost to replumb the thing I bought a 22.5 Weber, I all ready had a 18 in I used on the canoe, getting up from the campfire started to hurt too much. I will never go back to gas, food is better tasting, and I can smoke on it if I want. I would buy a 26 in if I buy another which I dought. I purchased a 22.5 WSM and modded it as a second grill. To answer your question yes they are Worth IT.

Anyhoo, as to the original question asked, it would depend on how much you pay, wouldn't it? I picked a Genesis 1000 up alongside the road, spent approx. $100 in parts and without doubt, it is the finest grill I have used in nearly half-century of grilling! Just did some Salmon for the first time last Friday and all of my guests said they never had better! A great grill! So pick up a Genesis on Craigslist or somewhere like that and for a few dollars, you,too, could experience BBQ as you have never had before!

Back