Are these stainless steel?

JoeyS

TVWBB Fan
I didn't think too much of the FB and grates that came with the Genesis 1000 and just set them in a corner to be tossed for I was planning to buy new. While moving around it came to view again and decided to put a magnet on it just for kicks. It didn't stick.... I tried another magnet (granted its magnets pulled from a same hard drive) and also didn't stick. Tried it on the FB and burner and it too didn't stick. I tried it on the frame and magnetized so I know these magnets work. I was just a bit puzzled for I thought grates that looked like this were porcelain steel? Upon closer inspection, no porcelain. I've only seen stainless steel grills with rods. Did they used to make it this way in the past and rods are the newer version?

IMG_7893.JPGIMG_7894.JPG

Actually those are pretty decent grates. And the older ones were REAL stainless steel. If there are no loose pieces I would hit those with some good oven cleaner, get them really clean and use them. I have a couple sets of those.

Yah, They are decent grates. Definitely better than the porcelain coated ones. I have several sets from rehab grills but I have thrown away many good sets as well. They last a long time due to be stainless and provide small gaps between the rails. There are two knocks on them that see. First, they are not very thick and don't hold much heat after you open the lid. For those that like to "peek" at their food a lot, they are not so good. The other thing is that I find a lot of them that are otherwise in good shape, but have one or two of the welds broken on them.

Back