Are rubs worth it?

• Thread starter Thread starter Guest
  • Start date Start date

Status
Not open for further replies.
G

Being fairly new to this, and the cheap S.O.B I am, I have brined everything I've done on the WSM. One exeption was chicken 1/4's in Itallion dressing. I didn't notice any difference.
Are rubs worth the price? My wallet is 20 years old but I can appreciate the idea of the added spices to the finished product. Seems like I can get them after the fact with a good sauce.
I just don't see how a rub can penetrate (for tenderising purposes) like a brine can. /infopop/emoticons/icon_rolleyes.gif

This is a very objective argument because it all boils down to personal preference. I like rubs because they can give a very good flavor depending on what spices you like. I really like everything and I like it pretty strong.

The only way I think you'll find out is to just try some. Splurge a little /infopop/emoticons/icon_wink.gif

Bob,
Not sounding smart,but to me brines are the waste of money.Especially with everything being injected with brine from the factory these days.
There are many rubs that can be made very cheaply. Salt,pepper,sugar,and chili powder is pretty cheap and is in most spice cabinets just wait to make a cheap piece of meat come alive. /infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

Willy T.

Thanks guys. I indeed have salt (kosher, my preferance) sugar, pepper and chile powder. Got two butts in the WSM at present, both brined. It's windy-windy here today but the WSM is rock solid at 250. Sounds like I shoulda tried 1 with/1 without. Next time!

Originally posted by bob j:
[QB] Got two butts in the WSM at present, both brined.

Am I missing out on something here? I have not tried brining a boston butt. I didnt know it needed to be brined! Input? /infopop/emoticons/icon_confused.gif

Maybe "I" missed something. I felt that most meats needed some sort of tenderising for use in the WSM. After all you all do it. The brine I used was water, a bit of sugar and fresh pounded garlic. NO salt. The butts I have are injected and I thought the solution I used would help remediate the effect of the solution while inducing the taste of the sugar and garlic. /infopop/emoticons/icon_redface.gif

Try getting some "Bad Byron's Butt Rub" and using it on your next butt. Don't brine the thing, maybe a little mustard and then the rub, do it the day or night before the cook. Might give you a good idea why lots of folks use rubs.

Bob,

A rub applied before cooking gives the finished product a more complex taste than when only sauce is brushed on at the end. Try it for yourself: Cook two slabs of ribs or two butts, one with and one without rub, then sauce both as usual and compare the taste. Then you can judge for yourself.

As Willy said, rubs can be made easily from many ingredients already in your pantry. Recipes are free on the Web, have fun making your own instead of spending big $$$ on commercial products.

If you haven't already, when you have a chance take a look at the All About Brining article. It explains the basics of brining and which meats benefit from the process.

Since the article is pretty self explanatory, I'll only mention a few things here.
<UL TYPE=SQUARE>
<LI>If you're not using salt, you're not brining.
<LI>Brining is done primarily to add flavor and improve moisture retention in meat. Some sources say that brining has a modest tenderizing effect by working on the proteins in meat, but that's not the main goal of brining.
<LI>Pork butt can be brined, but because of the natural high fat content it does not need to be brined. No amount of brining will make butt tender; it takes low & slow cooking, converting connective tissue into gelatin, to do that.
<LI>Poultry, salmon, and lean pork cuts like loin and tenderloin are prime candidates for brining.
[/list]
Regards,
Chris

If you want to be a "cheap SOB" make yourself a good rub (or buy one) and skip the sauce.

Bob
Like Chris said without salt your not brinning it's bathing.
BBQ flavor print is about bark and rub is a very large component. The sugar and spice are caramelized, that is what we are looking for.
We have a spice company in Auburn where you can get great prices and the freshness is beyond compare. Would be happy to introduce you to Shelly.
Jim

Bob
This can be an expensive hobby if we're not careful. I watch every nickel I spend.

I make most of my rubs using recipes from this site and others. And I buy virtually all of my spices from the bulk section. I don't buy in bulk, I just buy what I need for that weekend's cook. I smoked two butts recently and the cost of my spices was about a dollar.
Peter

Sounds like I not only missed the boat, but drove off the end of the pier. Next time I'm gonna rub my butt instead of my scalp /infopop/emoticons/icon_wink.gif

Bob,

You may have "driven off the pier" on this topic, but you were able to share info about food grade plastics in another topic. Give a little, take a little, that's what it's all about. /infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

Best regards,
Chris

We're all here to help one another thats for sure. I'm a member at several boards and most seem to shun those who ask questions. UBB's aren't what they used to be. It used to be a community where info is shared and questions are welcomed. Now it's a non-live chat room and if you don't speak internet shortened lingo you are frowned upon. I'm just glad that places like this are still around.

Ribs are one of the great things of life. Another is teenagers growing up and moving out of the house, but that is another story.

I get the rub in bulk at Sam's. I will make my own every now and then, but it is good to have some fresh rub on hand.

Correctly demembraned and smoked, ribs are hard to beat. I also squeeze some olive oil and vinegar on them from a cheap squirt bottle at the ending stages of the cook.

Sonny
About the teenagers moving out, the only way to be safe is to downsize in homes and make sure that there is no room for them to move back in!!!
Jim

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Dennis Solin:
[qb] When the kids are gone and the dogs dead you are free!!!!!! [/qb] <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>Thats about the time the grandkids start poppin' out!! /infopop/emoticons/icon_eek.gif

Originally posted by Sonny Jordan:
[QB]
I get the rub in bulk at Sam's. I will make my own every now and then, but it is good to have some fresh rub on hand.

Sonny, I go to Sams in Huntsville and have not seen any rubs! /infopop/emoticons/icon_frown.gif What kind are you getting and where is it in the store? I've been going to Scottsboro to a Traegar dealer and buying "Head Country" rub.(which by the way I wont do anymore! /infopop/emoticons/icon_eek.gif too high)cheaper to order direct from HC.

thanks

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back