Are rubs worth it?

• Thread starter Thread starter Guest
  • Start date Start date

Status
Not open for further replies.
Bob-

A book I use extesively that has recipes for rubs, marinades, sauces, etc. is "Paul Kirk's Championship Barbecue Sauces: 175 Make-Your-Own Sauces, Marinades, Dry Rubs, Wet Rubs, Mops and Salsas". Aside from just providing recipes, the book gives great advice on how to create your own rubs and suaces. It's a very good investment.

Happy Q'ing.

Ken

Bob , I am a BIG fan of using rubs but except for trying something new thats own an award I almost always make my own ort use some of the many great rubs on this site or others. I would suggest that if your not noticing much of a difference it could be that you have spices that have been in teh copboard too long or not proberly stored. I don;t like grocerystore bought spices either. www.thespicehouse.com is my favorite place to buy spices to make spices for anything (I dont buy many of there premixed spices for BBQ though). The BRITU recipie is a great example. Used in proper quantities (don't overdo it) it really enhances the taste. The renowned Mr Brown is another that I love and I do find my end product turns out sooo much better with good fresh spices. Fresh spices = <1 yr old and kept in sealed glass containers. On the brining thing I'm highly opinionated for pork I look around and make sure whatever I buy is not pre-brined. the only pork i brine myself is prokchops and thats for the kettle not the WSM in a maple sugar brine for flavor enhancement not really for tenderness. If your cooking low and slow ie: 225-250 when its done it'll be plenty tender.

Hey Jim,

I got it in Birmingham a few months back. I will try to ck this week to see if they still have it.

I agree with Tom that Penzey's is a great source for spice. I have been in their store in Houston and the smell was tremendous. Too bad I have to mail order now. /infopop/emoticons/icon_confused.gif

ok I'm a creature of habit and screwed up on my link the place I was refering to for spices is the Spice house not penzys. I've posted on this before but the spice house is a smaller operation with fresher spices in my humble opinion. Its the same family as Penzys just not commercially gorund and warehoused. They are both kids of the original in Milwaukee based on what I know about both operations the spices are fresher from www.thespicehouse.com Bill Penzy runs Penzys and has a much bigger mail order busienss and packages spices while Patty Penzy-Erd runs the Spice house (the original one that her parents had) and doesn't do the bulk but each order is individually filled instead of warehoused. for some this may seem esoteric but I think it makes a significant enough difference to point out. you can lso get spices at the shice house you may not be able to find at Penzy's like exquisite grade Paprika for example.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back