Are my temp differentials normal?

BMKindoll

This is a question for everybody. What is your temp difference between your top and bottom grates? The reason I ask is because I am running a ProQ Excel and filled the bottom 2" of the water pan with foil. Temps were very stable. The only problem I found was that there seemed to be about a 40 deg. differential between the top and bottom cooking grates using this method. I wonder if this is the case with whatever heat sink method you use or if this difference would be less if I used water for instance.

So what are your temp differences? And is the 40 deg. difference I am experiencing normal?

Brandon

I usually get about a 10-15 degree tempoerature difference between the lid thermometer and my controller probe that I hang on the underside of the top grate. Not enough to worry about really. I usually run about a half pan of water just to keep the drippings from frying onto the pan itself. Sometimes I'll foil the pan and go dry but the temperature difference is still there.

Russ

See that's what I don't get. I don't understand why I am getting such large differences. I mean I am getting at least 40 deg. difference. And yes that's with the same thermo. Could it be the foil in the pan causing it? Would I have better luck with water?

Brandon

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by BMKindoll:
The only problem I found was that there seemed to be about a 40 deg. differential between the top and bottom cooking grates using this method. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
Which is hotter, top cooking grate, or the bottom cooking grate?

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by BMKindoll:
The bottom is 40 deg. hotter than the top.

Brandon </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
As it should be with no water in the pan. The foiled water pan radiates heat, thus causing the huge temp diff. I'm a huge fan on no water, just a foiled lined pan. I use way less fuel and don't have to worry about adding water, or the pan running dry. You just have to adjust to the temp issue when using the lower grate. HTH

Brandon, Bryan is right about cooking with a foiled pan. You have to think in reverse as far as grate heat is concerned. No big deal. Just remember to put your biggest piece of meat on the bottom

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by paul h:
Brandon, Bryan is right about cooking with a foiled pan. You have to think in reverse as far as grate heat is concerned. No big deal. Just remember to put your biggest piece of meat on the bottom </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
Hadn't thought of that. Thanks for the tip.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by paul h:
Brandon, Bryan is right about cooking with a foiled pan. You have to think in reverse as far as grate heat is concerned. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
On the other side of this, if you were using water in the pan, then the top grate would be hotter than the bottom grate that's sitting over the water filled pan.
icon_wink.gif

Back