Are Kettle's like these worth adding to one's collection?

I was just having this discussion with DanHoo. I don't understand why anyone would pay anything for a beat up old kettle when you could just buy a new one. I can understand rebuilding an old gas grill because you like it better than the new ones, I've done it before myself. The kettles are the one product that Weber hasn't messed with too much. The new ones aren't much different than the old ones. If Weber still made a grill that was pretty close to my old Genesis Platinum series grill I would buy it. Paying good money for old, beat up kettles is just something I just can't understand. If you can get any of that junk for free, go for it. If I was really into it I would have the porcelain redone on those, but that would be kind of expensive compared to just buying a new one and getting some custom wood handles made for it. That's just my two cents worth and not meant to disparage collectors of rare or unique kettles.

I’d just use them, so, they’re not the pristine thing they were when built but, they still work! If they were really cheap, why not.
As for the restoration of gas grills, they present their own set of addiction traps. After doing the one that Rich and Bruce walked me through, I don’t feel any deep desire to make that a hobby. I’d prefer using any grill over restoring one.

Yes, if you like collecting them.

I think those old kettles are super cool but don't desire to collect them. I value the space more, even if they were free. Great cookers though.

$40 each?? I’d jump on them ASAP! They have more blems than I prefer in a collector, but for that price they are no brainer!

Back