Apprenticeship

Lance

TVWBB Super Fan
Through cooking some decent barbecue over here, I now have a guy who wants to learn how to barbecue. I am teaching him how to barbecue with actual cooks and telling him what I know. I can't help but think that there are things that I should be teaching him but I don't think about because they are so simple you don't think about them anymore. In addition, I may not have faced an issue that he asks about or faces. So my question is what would you tell a new guy or show him in order to teach him about barbecue or put in another way what do you wish someone had shown/ told you when you started barbecuing?
Lance

First,there's nothing technical about it.
It's all about the patience waiting for the meat/fowl to be done. Just read the cooking section on the site and start trying the recipes. Start with a butt (very forgiving) and go from there. This site will show you how to start a fire and maintain a low temp. The only thing you need besides your WSM is a thermometer.

MikeZ

When I teach someone I orchestrate a few 'problems' to solve or overcome. Most people, especially if learning by hands-on experience, really want to understand the answers to the 'but what do I do if...' questions that come up. They want to know how to make adjustments, change course, 'fix' a problem, etc.

What I try to do, at first, is to make the processes as problem-free as possible. This allows them to get what I am doing (since it's hands-on, they're doing it too). But a few cooks later, I orchestrate a problem or two (with a WSM you could chuck a piece of wood in to create a temp spike; or 'lose' your thermometer; or tell him halfway into the cook that dinner needs to be 2 or 3 hours earlier than planned), and then show him how you'd deal with those problems.

Fundamentals are, of course, necessary. But when people grasp those what they really want to know (and, if teaching staff, what I really want them to know) is how to deal with problems that will inevitably arise. It's from a sense of this that one develops confidence, moreso, imo, than knowing the fundamentals.

Time is the best teacher along with mistakes.

The book I enjoyed the most and learned the most form was Paul Kirks championship bbq.

To me I learn something everytime I cook and try something new all the time.

Fire control is key, How do you control the temp? Once you master it a lot just falls into place.

Kevin makes a great point it is easy to follow a normal cook but you learn when things go astray.

Don't overanalyze and don't panic. To me this is the easiest form of cooking. Ingredients do not have to be measured to the nanogram. Temperatures do not have to be precise to the enth degree. It is all very forgiving. Unless you fall asleep and overcook there's a good chance that whatever you're making will turn out fine and be delicious.
Enjoy the process of the shop, prep and cook and the rest will almost always take care of itself. And try to stay away from windy days.

Have fun with it..... the worst thing that can happen is the cook gets all screwed up, and you order a pizza. If messing up is ok, the good and bad of the learning process is very rewarding.

Q'n, Golf'n & Grill'n.... too many choices!
Gary

I wish I had known early on that a temp variation of 10 to 20 degrees is no big deal. I think I set my ET-73 alarm to go off at 215 (low) and 225 (high) when I did my first overnight cook. Needless to say, I didn't get much sleep. I've learned now that my WSM settles in at around 250 and will remain steady all night. So guess what, I cook at about 250.

I would also let someone new to the WSM know that sometimes you just have to shut the top vent for a few minutes to get things under control.

I would also teach someone to be able to tell when something is done without using a thermometer. When you can pull the bone out of a butt with little resistance, it's done even if the thermometer doesn't read 190 (or what ever).

Guys thanks for the help. I like to follow the crawl, walk, run methodology. First show someone how to do something and slowly add complexity. My apprentice is a quick learner and I have a lot of faith in him. He is calm and doesn't panic. He has been around the block a couple of times. I am encouraging him to join this board as well. The expertise on the TVWB is second to none. Anyone have any tips for prepping meat?
Lance

This is turning into something we all can use and contribute. Just yesterday put on a goose. Was getting done lot sooner than expected. Took off for an hour under foil and put back on later to time doneness with rest of the meal. Like Kevin says - learn to deal with problems that creap up.

First my definition of good BBQ. Moist, Tender and Good Flavor before sauce is added.

I'm with Dale buy a Thermapen. Then learn safe-temps. When cooking vertically (WSM) the higher safe temps go on the bottom and the lower safe temps go on top. For examples you want pork loin (safe at 145f) dripping down on chicken (safe at 165F) NOT the other way round.

God Bless,

Konrad

I've probably have a half dozen guy's who like to drill me on making barbeque. The one constant I get from them is "how long will that take"?, or how long do you think it will take"??. I always say BBQ is not about time, but about temperature and/or feel. Sure we can give "ball park" estimates but there are too many variables to deal with such as the meat itself, equipment, weather, charcoal quality, etc, etc, etc. I always like to teach patience. I also like to say "do what you like, not what I like", meaning if you want to add OJ to your sauce, "then add it", if you want to add alot of crushed red pepper to your rub, "do it", your cooking for yourself, not me, add your own personal touch. As Konrad say's... "EXPERIMENT"!

Back