Appliance repair

I fix stuff using youtube all the time but I'm also a copier technician so I'm used to putting things together and taking them apart. You kind of develop your spatial reasoning skills over time. For many years I repaired circuit board for printers, monitors, etc. Very little of that translated to fixing copiers. Of course, being an expert in one thing doesn't make you an expert in another. But spatial reasoning is a "muscle" that can be built up.

I’m a mandolin player but, I can’t fix a French Horn. I can however replace a watch battery without screwing that up. So, I confirm one talent may not help with another but, even a mandolin player may be taught a new trick now and then.

Absolutely true that some things don't translate. The worst situations I run into is where someone who thinks they know what they are doing tries to fix something before I got there. They might be an expert in HVAC or a auto mechanic.

I fix stuff using youtube all the time but I'm also a copier technician so I'm used to putting things together and taking them apart. You kind of develop your spatial reasoning skills over time. For many years I repaired circuit board for printers, monitors, etc. Very little of that translated to fixing copiers. Of course, being an expert in one thing doesn't make you an expert in another. But spatial reasoning is a "muscle" that can be built up.
It's what I used to do. Spent a long time in that field progressing to become a Technical Trainer at Canon USA for many years. Spent nearly 20 years in that field.

Back