Apple Brined Chickens

Benny L.

TVWBB Fan
I just wanted to report in on a very successful smoke I did this weekend. Normally around here, chickens are something simple that go from the fridge to the grill to the plate in a high-speed fashion. Nothing fancy.

For a trial on my WSM, I thought I'd do something a little better. Friday evening I mixed up a batch of the Apple Brine listed in the Cooking Topics section. Instead of doing a whole turkey, I butterflied two chickens and soaked them in the brine overnight. I didn't do the step of drying them in the fridge, because we normally pull the skin off the chicken when it's done anyhow.

I fired up the WSM Saturday afternoon with some apple and cherry wood in there, and situated the two birds on the top rack. I was cooking up some spaghetti sauce inside (unrelated... just doing a big cooking day) so I tossed a couple heads of garlic and a yellow onion on to smoke with the chickens too. Good god, the back yard smelled like heaven!

Long story short, all kind of BBQ joints around here have smoked turkey, and one home cooking place I know serves smoked chicken. The birds I smoked Saturday blow the socks off of all of 'em. The flavor was dynamite, smoky and sweet. The meat was so tender and juicy, but it still had a nice firmness to it. You could slice the breast and it actually made a slice... those Boston Market rotissery chickens all go to mush in my opinion. The wife usually says nice things about my cooking, but she even mentioned it again the next day. Now that means I did a good job.

Anyhow, just wanted to say thank you to the website and to everyone on the forum. I see lots of recipes I'm anxious to try. I also need to take some pictures while I'm working. I really love seeing you guys do that. It makes it a lot easier if I'm trying a new recipe, working with an unfamiliar cut of meat, or whatever so I can picture what I'm supposed to be doing. Also makes me dang hungry looking at some of the pictures, and I want to go try them out for myself. Thanks again -- hopefully I'll have some photographic evidence from my next project!

Benny, how did your chicken turn out? I thought that maybe an overnight brine might be too long for the chicken

Paul-

Well, it was my first time trying the brine so I don't know what to compare it to, if I do say so myself the chicken was delicious!

From what I understand the brine is for flavor but is also supposed to help with juiciness. The flavor was not overpowering. The chicken was definitely not salty tasting, but it had a nice sweetness to it that worked just perfect with the apple & cherry smoke. I don't generally like sweets with my meats (not a fan of glazed anything, except donuts) but this was different. It didn't need any kind of sauce or seasoning either.

As for the texture, that was right-on also. I smoked it right about 325, until breast hit 160. These were two smallish roasting-type chickens. The leg-quarters pulled right out of the joints with a slight tug and the thigh meat was fall off the bone. The breast meat was more tender and juicy than any smoked turkey or chicken I've had at a BBQ joint, but didn't just completely fall apart either. I'm not sure how much of this is due to brining and how much is just the result of the smoking process. It had a different texture than normal grilled chicken, I can tell you that much.

Like I mentioned up above, we don't normally eat the chicken skin, but brining/smoking like this doesn't seem to be the way to go if you like it. The turkey recipe call for air-drying the bird overnight, so maybe that would do the trick.

So my long winded answer to your simple question is that I don't think overnight brining was too much, with this Apple Brine recipe at least. Next time I might try doing a shorter soak to see if get the same result, but honestly I kind of like starting the night before and just pulling the birds out of the fridge when it's GO time.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by paul h:
Benny, how did your chicken turn out? I thought that maybe an overnight brine might be too long for the chicken </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I have always brined my chicken overnight never had a complaint.
cooked at a lower temp (275-290) just sharing what works for me.

Benny, Congrats on your chicken cook. Sounds like to me it came out perfect.
icon_cool.gif

Back