Appetizer suggestions?

One tip I've come across to help tone down the heat of jalapenos is to rinse them under cold water after you core them. My peppers from the garden last year were so HOT even after scraping the membrane out a lot of people couldn't handle the heat (I like heat but these were a struggle even for me). I found the suggestion somewhere online and it seems to work pretty well in my experience...

MOINK BALLS!!!

I've haven't tried ABT's yet but Moink balls do not last long. So easy. I follow what Harry Soo says and buy walmart great value meatballs for 5 bucks and great value bacon.

Just an option here regarding ABT's. Try some smallish cubanelle or pablano peppers and stuff them with either sausage and cheese or taco seasoned ground beef and cheese. There is no heat with either and you can dust on some spicy rub after you wrap them in bacon if you want a little bite. I do these all the time and take a dozen or so into work and the guys love 'em!

Gary do you use sausage links on these? Thx
Way late...............sorry Al not sure how but I missed your question.

Actually no. I've thought about it more than once but they are excellent just doing what I have suggested. I've seen them that way and they do look good so you could easily try some each way. I really try to be consistent in the size of my peppers so that they are all pretty much the same. I think I would want bigger if I was putting a mini sausage in one.

Speaking of appetizers, I grilled some stuffed portobello mushrooms last evening. Clean them and rinse (it actually doesn't hurt to rinse mushrooms in cool, running, water contrary to popular opinion), remove the gills and grill. Grill them direct (medium heat) gill side down for four or five minutes depending on size. Remove them, spoon chopped sweet onion, Muir Glen canned tomatoes (after draining thoroughly), and shredded cheese onto/into the gill side. Return to the grill (cap side down) until mushroom is tender and cheese is melted. We found those absolutely wonderful.

Dale53

Since this post is still alive Morgan C did something I thought was really neat...mini tacos using wonton shells. He had a post but unfortunately his photos are deleated. They cooked ground turkey and it looked really awesome. If I remember corectly they were cooked in muffin tins on the kettle. I've sent him an email to see if he can send out the photos but to me the whole idea was realy neat and I would like to do that tomorrow for Daddy's Day....of course I cook!!!!!!!!!!

Speaking of appetizers, I grilled some stuffed portobello mushrooms last evening. Clean them and rinse (it actually doesn't hurt to rinse mushrooms in cool, running, water contrary to popular opinion), remove the gills and grill. Grill them direct (medium heat) gill side down for four or five minutes depending on size. Remove them, spoon chopped sweet onion, Muir Glen canned tomatoes (after draining thoroughly), and shredded cheese onto/into the gill side. Return to the grill (cap side down) until mushroom is tender and cheese is melted. Season to taste. We found those absolutely wonderful.

Dale53

Yeah, every time I have done a heavy appetizer everyone always gets full on it and doesn't enjoy the barbecue as much. My family are pretty big eaters at that and can put away a good bit of food, even the pretty women in my life!

That said, I love love love pig shots. Take a Kielbasa and cut them up into short piece, wrap in bacon, skewer with a toothpick, and fill the thing up to the top with cream cheese and top with brown sugar and your favorite rub, or just use brown sugar or just use the rub, but the sweetness from brown sugar is pretty awesome. Cook them at 250 for a couple hours and crisp the bacon up on a hotter grille if you so please. They are deadly good. Here is a link to another website about them. They are pretty heavy though and may ruin everyones appetite, but at least they will be eating something that may even be better than the Q! LOL. Not sure if I have ever seen these posted on this forum. I like them better than ABT's and Moinks..... I may get shot for that one!

BBQ-Brethren Website - Pig Shots

That said, I love love love pig shots. Take a Kielbasa and cut them up into short piece, wrap in bacon, skewer with a toothpick, and fill the thing up to the top with cream cheese and top with brown sugar and your favorite rub, or just use brown sugar or just use the rub, but the sweetness from brown sugar is pretty awesome. Cook them at 250 for a couple hours and crisp the bacon up on a hotter grille if you so please. They are deadly good. Here is a link to another website about them. They are pretty heavy though and may ruin everyones appetite, but at least they will be eating something that may even be better than the Q! LOL. Not sure if I have ever seen these posted on this forum. I like them better than ABT's and Moinks..... I may get shot for that one!

BBQ-Brethren Website - Pig Shots

RC They look fantastic

My favorite app -

Take a tater tot & 1 slice of Jalapeno (from a jar is easy) and roll in 1/2 slice of bacon. Skewer with a toothpick and set indirect on the grill.
They won't fill you up and people rave about 1) the taste 2) the simplicity

Back