Anyone with experience? - Gourmet Barbeque System Stainless Steel Grates

Michael

TVWBB Fan
Anyone have experience with the BBQ System Weber offers? I have an older Spirit 300 and found the grates at lowes on clearance for $21, so I picked them up. I already had SS on this grill, but figured for $21, why not try them.

Curious if anyone uses or has used these. Of course, I don’t have any accessories, so if there is one that is more useful, or one to stay away from, than I would love to hear about it.

Also, if you have used this setup, do you make them your primary cooking grates, even when you are not using an accessory?

Honestly, I have been cooking more on the Genesis I have, but thought this would bring a different experience to the Spirit.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    193.7 KB · Views: 18
Micheal: If you still have the box the grates came in, I think it explains the GBS and some of the accessories as well. I do believe those grates will also fit your Genesis.
You can certainly use them as regular grates as well. They were designed to add a new dimension to grilling with your Weber while retaining the original purpose. The only difference is that you might find you don't always get real uniform sear marks from the grates like you might with regular grates.

Here are some information of the accessories available for the GBS.

They are not good in my opinion. Not worth $21

I have had the cast iron grill system for years with the insert. Works great for us. Use it every day.

We tried the stainless ones. Poor fit and finish. Hard to clean.

I got 2 call backs on grills I sold with the stainless grilling system. Both wanted them replaced.

Hmmm, I sold a rehab grill a month or so ago with the SS GBS grates. I was out of the regular SS Solid rod grates at the time. The buyer didn't buy it for the grates but seemed impressed with them. For the record, they cost over $90 regular price.

Personally, unless you really plan to use them for what they are designed, I think you are much better off with the regular grates. Like BPratt says, they would be harder to clean than regular grates.

Thanks. Yeah, they are about 2” short in length and width to fit my Genesis.

Figured for the hefty discount they would be worth a shot. I was concerned about cleaning them, do to all the cross points.

Looks like as is the regular sear marks shouldn’t be too far off. On a magnet test (just for reference) the original ss grates that came with this Spirit SE do not attract a magnet. These new BBQ System ones do.

If they really are not worth the $21, I can return them. Really why I wanted to check with the experts here.

Yeah, $95 normally at Lowes

26-in x 19.5-in Rectangle Stainless Steel Cooking Grate https://www.lowes.com/pd/Weber-26-in-x-19-5-in-1-Rectangle-Stainless-Steel-Cooking-Grate/1003018086

Thanks. Yeah, they are about 2” short in length and width to fit my Genesis.

Figured for the hefty discount they would be worth a shot. I was concerned about cleaning them, do to all the cross points.

Looks like as is the regular sear marks shouldn’t be too far off. On a magnet test (just for reference) the original ss grates that came with this Spirit SE do not attract a magnet. These new BBQ System ones do.

If they really are not worth the $21, I can return them. Really why I wanted to check with the experts here.

Yeah, $95 normally at Lowes

26-in x 19.5-in Rectangle Stainless Steel Cooking Grate https://www.lowes.com/pd/Weber-26-in-x-19-5-in-1-Rectangle-Stainless-Steel-Cooking-Grate/1003018086
Hi Michael, if they are 2 inches short you have a modern big Genesis

If they don’t fit return them.

Hi Michael, if they are 2 inches short you have a modern big Genesis

If they don’t fit return them.

I have a Spirit and a modern Genesis. They fit the Spirit. Figured I might use the spirit more if I had something like this. Currently I tend to use the Genesis over the spirit.

Comparing apples to oranges here. My GBS is on a Performer, not a gasser. Original plated steel great is very solid, much better than the stainless SnS grate I bought. The accessories I use most are the griddle and sear grate, use them a lot. I also like to use it with the Vortex with the center grate removed. The GBS works very well on a kettle but I question how well it would work on a gasser.

The GBS is kind of a gimmick, but one I admit has an appeal nonetheless. I bought FOUR SETS of those things at the $21 price. I figured they would be a great item for flips and maybe one for me. I also have a used cast iron version I picked up and kept from a rehab grill. I don’t have a three burner to try either on, but over the years have accumulated a diamond pattern sear grate, a wok (free) and a clearance priced chicken roaster. The small griddle would be fun. If I ever get anywhere on my projects I will do a review of these.

I am a lot alarmed that flip customers hated those regular $96 grates enough to demand a replacement. What was their main issue with them?

It kind of surprises me that a flip customer would come back and demand different grates. Were the grates not included in the photos and description on the sale listing?
I can understand having regrets where I would work with them in buying a new set of regular grates, but I really would be hard pressed to simply replace used grates with new ones straight up.

It kind of surprises me that a flip customer would come back and demand different grates. Were the grates not included in the photos and description on the sale listing?
I can understand having regrets where I would work with them in buying a new set of regular grates, but I really would be hard pressed to simply replace used grates with new ones straight up.
I took the customer’s old grill in exchange in both instances. One person wanted their old cooking surface back which I still had. The other person wanted anything else. I had some used ones that worked for them.

No problem either way. I don’t like callbacks but I would rather have a happy client.

I have found that stamped stainless, new or used, are a safe choice for customers.

I took the customer’s old grill in exchange in both instances. One person wanted their old cooking surface back which I still had. The other person wanted anything else. I had some used ones that worked for them.

No problem either way. I don’t like callbacks but I would rather have a happy client.

I have found that stamped stainless, new or used, are a safe choice for customers.
Of course, the customer is always right, but did you find out why they were unhappy with the GBS?

I know is personal preference but I initially thought these were a steal at $21.
Maybe I will just keep them anyway. See if I find the sear or griddle somewhere cheap.

Of course, the customer is always right, but did you find out why they were unhappy with the GBS?
Cleaning issues. I had them too. The center piece moves too much when brushing. Lots of crevices. Lots of spacing

The fit and finish is not at the same level as the cast iron GBS I’ve had for years.

The sets eventually left with grills.

It’s like any hybrid system. Hard to get 2 things right

Back