Anyone using a Smokenator & Craycort Cast Iron Grates?

JeffH

Like the thread title says, I'm wondering what people's experiences have been using a Smokenator with Craycorts Cast Iron Grates?

I use the Smokenator on a regular basis on my 22.5 OTG, and I'm seriously considering putting the Craycort grates on my Christmas list for Santa next year (I know it's only July...).

What I want to know is did the cast iron grates affect the ability to cook low & slow? I'm worried that the cast iron would get to hot and would possibly burn or scorch the meat. Or worse, do they even fit together? I can't see why not, just wouldn't want to shell out the 160 bux Canadian (almost as much for the grill) to only find out it doesn't work with the Smokenator.

I mean, there could be worse things. If it doesn't work I'd have incentive to go out and pick up a Performer, and have one grill for smoking and one grill for grilling! ;)

I do not use any grates when I use my Smokenator. I only use it for smoking chickens on a beer-can holder. I line the entire bottom of the charcoal grate not covered by the Smokenator with aluminum foil. I place 2 thin fire bricks in front of the Smokenator, and place an aluminum pan on top of the foil on the indirect side. I then set up the beer-can chickens and allow them to slow smoke.

What I found out by using the Smokenator with a top grate, is that the temperature gets hotter than I like while smoking, and is also uneven and hard to control. By foiling the bottom of the indirect side, it is then easy to control the temps because all of the air for combustion has to come up through the Smokenator.

I suppose that one could do slabs of ribs, or even a small butt the same way. Anyhow, perhaps this doesn't answer your question, but that is how I have found to best use the Smokenator.

I have a 22.5 inch WSM, and a 14.5 inch mini-smoker that I use for most cooks. I use the kettle with the Smokenator for chickens because it is easier to work with them that way. We also use a Cajun Bandit SS rotisserie ring for chickens on a kettle, and pretty much do the same type of setup, just on both sides with baskets.

If you goto the photo section, you'll see that the really good cooks, cook on the Cast Iron grates. It's an $80-$85 upgrade, but it appears to be worth it

Cast iron grates are not going to get too hot. They are slower to heat up and slower to cool down than thinner steel wire grates, but they will be about the same temperature.

I've got the 22 1/2 and the 18 1/2 CI grates from Craycort. I also have their veggie wok for the 22 and a couple of the griddles for the 22. I love them and use them all the time. I need to say however, I've had problems on every delivery. Upon arrival of all three orders the packaging was trashed. I get a lot of UPS and FedEx deliveries and haven't had that problem with any other company. When I got my 22 1/2, I could literally see a section of the grate sticking out the side of the box. When I opened it, only three out of four grill segments were included. When I called I was told to take a picture of the damaged piece. I told her it wasn't damaged, it was missing a grill section. She had me take a picture of the grill with the three remaining pieces in place, showing the empty hole where the fourth segment should be. Really! When I got my 18 1/2, one of the segments was warped, and rocked when put in place. Finally, one of my griddles had a big lump of cast iron right in the middle of the griddle, like a piece of molten metal had fallen on the surface when the piece was cast. Again, in all three orders, the packing was horrible. Lastly, the woman you have to talk to is not an easy person to communicate with. She's a know it all and loves to talk over you when you are attempting to explain the problem. Having said all this, I must say they made good on everything and I do love the products I have. I just had to endure excessive delays getting my orders. This whole experience has made me very reluctant to place any more orders with them. Good luck if you decide to order.

One more thing concerning using the cast iron on low and slow cooks. Just hang on to your grates that came with your kettle. I hung mine on a nail in the garage. If you decide to go low and slow and are concerned about the temp of the CI, just switch grates for that particular cook.

Last edited:

Back